So we did some vending...

plowin-fire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Set up for our first vending event with the new trailer. Just advertised on Facebook and word of mouth. Served about 50 people in 2 hours. Sold most of the leftovers as well. We set up in a Super 8 parking lot right by 2 gas stations and a Burger King. Right off the interstate along a state highway. About 25% of the people saw the trailer and stopped in instead of going to bk. Few motel visitors came over. Rest were people that we had told. Question is, what kind of signs or flags or banners do we need to draw in more people? Trailer is getting the decals as we speak so that didn't help us. Thinking a 4 by 8 sign to stick in the lawn that points to the trailer and a sign along the road either direction. What should they say though? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20140606_174312.jpg
    20140606_174312.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 526
WOW! Really good for the 1st time out with no banners.
Keep us posted. It seems you hit on something.
How much $ does it cost to park there?
Good luck.

Last edited:
Cost is free! I move the snow there in the winter so we agreed to let me park there for discounted snow removal services. No utilities so I get to run the generator.

Last edited:
if you are along the highway with big rig parking, how about a cb radio to let truckers know. if you impress a few the word will travel!

Are the tables yours or already there?

I go get the tables from the park by our house. Helps to know the parks staff. Never thought of the cb advertising. Have to find a cb maybe.

So these are the ideas we had for flags/banners... getting some of them triangle string flag things and attaching to trailer and then out. Also possibly some flag rod holders on the side of trailer with flags that say: BBQ. Getting our logo on some signs to set up by the road as well. Any other ideas?

Might want to check with the city to make sure of what is legal. Here where I vend you can not have any signs etc that are not a part of your trailer or building etc. except for the pre approved business sign on a pole.

CB is a GREAT idea!!! I think having those table will help also. Are you going to do this on a regular basis on specific days and times. I ask because if so and you deliver consistently awesome eats people will come. Also don;t under-estimate the advertising power of really good smelling smoke. :clap2: ( On a selfish side note, how hard was it to get approval from everybody to set up there? HD, Owner, etc.)

Planning on being there every friday. Health dept was very easy to deal with and helpful in planning. City just asked to fill out a peddlers permit and pay 50 bucks. No restrictions in the city. Always got the smoke going. Doing a day event downtown this weekend for the city ribfest.

Update of the logos on the trailer. Will get more pics tomorrow when we get set up. Doing a tractor pull friday night and a ribfest Saturday. Stay tuned....

Attachments

• 20140611_225834.jpg
    20140611_225834.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 20140611_225813.jpg
    20140611_225813.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 387
Nice rig, but I am amazed that you are being allowed to take public property like the picnic tables and treat them as if they are yours. Do you have to go get them and take them back every Friday or are you just keeping them there all the time?

Also, are you able to make a profit just by being open on Fridays?

Nice rig, but I am amazed that you are being allowed to take public property like the picnic tables and treat them as if they are yours

You must be new to America, it's all in who you know! :)
(jealous? I am!)

KEEP US POSTED.

Nice rig, but I am amazed that you are being allowed to take public property like the picnic tables and treat them as if they are yours. Do you have to go get them and take them back every Friday or are you just keeping them there all the time?

Also, are you able to make a profit just by being open on Fridays?

Yeah we go get them and bring them back. Takes 20 minutes. Bought some folding picnic tables to try next weekend. Those park tables are heavy.

Of course we make a profit. Wouldnt be there if we didn't. The main reason for vending is to get the word out about catering. Picked up 2 gigs this weekend.

Just got home from our 2 day ribfest event. Friday we did a tractor pull and served 400 people or so. Ended up cooking most of our Saturday food to get through Friday night. Had to send a crew to sams club to restock. Saturday we served 750 people. Despite it raining most of the day with severe thunderstorms. Got over 2" of rain. There were 6 other vendors there and we had a line in front of ours most of the day while they were bored. Couple of them left early and by 8pm it was us and another vendor I know. Overall it was an amazing weekend. Now it's sleepy time. Didnt have time to take pics as I was prepping the whole time.

Will be better about taking pics next time. It was either raining or a line out the front. Crazy day though.

Last edited:
Did some more vending tonight. Had lots of exposure from last weekend and our Facebook following is taking off. Served 100 people tonight and ran out of a few items about 15 minutes before we shut the doors. Went very well. Planning on 150 next week.

Attachments

• 20140620_191636.jpg
    20140620_191636.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 20140620_191620.jpg
    20140620_191620.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 20140620_191524.jpg
    20140620_191524.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 20140620_191543.jpg
    20140620_191543.jpg