First Comp Help

HolySmoke77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Headed to Va BBQ Championship this weekend, a KCBS event and wanted help with the MM and the new rules as well as a tip on getting it right.

Can we now cook it separate for slices?
What temp are you all having the best luck with as far as slices go?

Thanks for the Help.

Taste of Grace BBQ

To my understanding you are allowed to separate the MM from the rest of the pork butt. During my practice I tried several different methods. Slicing the MM off when the butt is in the stall, slicing at the very end of the cook, and slicing at 190-195 degrees IT. Out of the 3, I prefer the latter. Take my advice with a grain of salt though, as this weekend will be my first comp.

I'm coming up to the VA BBQ championship this weekend also, this is my first comp as well. Team name is Sublime Smoke, say hi if you see us around!

The butt must be 145 deg. before you can separate.

To my understanding you are allowed to separate the MM from the rest of the pork butt. During my practice I tried several different methods. Slicing the MM off when the butt is in the stall, slicing at the very end of the cook, and slicing at 190-195 degrees IT. Out of the 3, I prefer the latter. Take my advice with a grain of salt though, as this weekend will be my first comp.

I'm coming up to the VA BBQ championship this weekend also, this is my first comp as well. Team name is Sublime Smoke, say hi if you see us around!

Sure will, our Team name is Taste of Grace BBQ

So does a judge have to come around and check each individual persons temp and give them an OK to remove the MM or is it just based off of trust? I'm still fairly new to the comps so haven't tried to do the whole separation thing yet. Just trying to get the whole thing perfect first....:confused:

It's all on trust. And as much as I hate to say it there are some cheaters out there. If you are going to take the MM off it's better to do it earlier than later. You can always cook it longer if you need to but if you wait to long you are screwed. I would do it before you hit the 190's because at 195 I'm taking my butts off. You hit 200's it's going to be mushy

aawa and Holy Smoke - welcome to the fray! We will be there and are available for questions. We will be having a little get together (wink, wink) at 9am on Sat. Otherwise known as the MABA good luck shot. The Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc (MABA) of which I am a board member is very welcoming and we're ready to help anyone out. We will be arriving at 8 on Fri. Look us up and introduce yourselves!

also...we are extremely interested in getting a V33. We talked to the rep at the DC BBQ battle and fell in love with it!

aawa and Holy Smoke - welcome to the fray! We will be there and are available for questions. We will be having a little get together (wink, wink) at 9am on Sat. Otherwise known as the MABA good luck shot. The Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc (MABA) of which I am a board member is very welcoming and we're ready to help anyone out. We will be arriving at 8 on Fri. Look us up and introduce yourselves!

Thanks TheresaB. I'll definitely look out for you and will be stopping by the little get together!

will you still get as much flavor in the MM if you seperate it ?.

Yes, you will still get as much flavor- if you hold it properly and it doesn't dry out.

In terms of when to separate it some of that will depend on how hot you are cooking. At a lower temp, such as 225-240, you will want to start checking the MM for doneness around 180. From there it is a matter of feel- remember you are trying to get slices and not chunks or pulled, so it will be a bit firmer than the meat you take to a higher temp for chunks/pulled.

I have been cooking at 250 and and separating when it temps just shy of 190. It is based on feel, although I had one last weekend that felt good at 185 so I pulled it and it definitely could have used another 30 min. I have been slicing them off, wrapping in foil and a towel and holding them in a cooler. With this approach, I have been going on later with my pork so I do not have to hold the MM too long.

Looking forward to meating all of you!:mrgreen: Looks like Tuffy Stone with Cool Smoke will be cooking!
You get a invitation to the Jack if you win.Pretty cool

Back