My last try at Texas style brisket

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Still training at Texas style packer brisket.

Some details, if you like:

10.55# prime packer brisket by National Beef untrimmed
10.00# post trimming
no injection
no stickers
Ted & Barney SPG rub
22WSM with some white oak chunks inside
1/2 lt of water in the drip pan
275F cooking temp.4
11:40 hours cooking time
199F final internal Temp when thermapen passed probe test
30 minutes of venting
1 hour of resting into double foil plus double blancket.

IMO, it was a success.

IMG_9343 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9361 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9370 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9397 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9413 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9418 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9424 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9430 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9435 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9438 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9443 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9445 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9446 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9448 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_9451 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

Excellent!!

Don't know how it tasted, but it looks perfect from the pictures.

Looks awesome! I would like to ask for your advice. The last brisket I smoked, I placed the temp probe in the thickest part of the flat. I pulled the brisket off at 203 degrees (foiled). I let the brisket vent 15 minutes, wrapped in towels and put in the cooler for 3 hours. The point was chewy and the flat was nothing special. I am wondering if temperature is more a guideline, that this particular brisket should have come off the smoker at a higher temperature and if so, how do I know when it should come off the smoker? Thanks for any suggestions.

I really like the look at that "bark candy". Nice work.

Brisket looks great! Thank you for sharing the pics and the details. Much appreciated!

I've also stopped wrapping most things lately. Do you like the unwrapped brisket better than wrapped?

Also, did the foil wrapping after the cook affect the bark at all?

Lastly, why foil over butcher paper?

Not at all challenging what you did. Looks amazing! Just curious as it seems you're on the same quest as me to get better at Texas-style brisket.

Turned out awesome Enrico!

I've just come home from a busy night shift, this post has my stomach growling so loud it woke up my dog.

Looks great. Only recommendation is to invest in an ORANGE Thermapen. Everyone knows they are the fastest and most accurate.

(Ducking mod)

Looks awesome! I would like to ask for your advice. The last brisket I smoked, I placed the temp probe in the thickest part of the flat. I pulled the brisket off at 203 degrees (foiled). I let the brisket vent 15 minutes, wrapped in towels and put in the cooler for 3 hours. The point was chewy and the flat was nothing special. I am wondering if temperature is more a guideline, that this particular brisket should have come off the smoker at a higher temperature and if so, how do I know when it should come off the smoker? Thanks for any suggestions.

Don't cook to temp. Temp is only a starting point to start checking for tenderness. When enteral temp gets to 195 I start probing the thickest part of the flat for probe tender and check it every 30 minutes until it is done. Last one I smoked enteral temp was 208 when I pulled it.

Back