• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

20 inch horizontal offset build

Bigwoods4x4

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Started making my own offset a few weeks ago (traditional offset, not a reverse flow-not planning on making tuning plates) . 1/4" wall 20" diameter pipe for the cook chamber (40") and firebox (20"). I had it rolled from cold rolled plate steel as I found this a lot more affordable than buying actual pipe of this size. I'm wondering what to do about cutting the cook chamber doors however, my biggest worry is that they will spring quite a bit. I know to leave the corners and let them cool then weld on the hinges and then cut through, but I don't know if I should add a brace of some kind to the inside of the door beforehand or not?

Had some of the endcaps laser cut, made life a lot easier. While this has all been somewhat fun so far, I don't want to weld this much for a while again....getting better though.

Welded up a frame with 500lb casters.

Notice on the first photo the door extends down farther than the circle diameter, I drew this into the CAD geometry because companies that use this door design never extend it down far enough and they get leaks. The flat stock (1 1/4×1/4) will be welded to the inside of the smoker door cap for the purpose of a gasket. I've seen external flatstock but it seems like a no brainer to go inside because then I can use simple weld-on classic hinges without having to modify them to clear the flatstock.

akbd44.jpg

Firebox door and baffle-will tack a bolt on the inner vent piece for a handle-door was laser cut and is still attached until I get hinges on.
2zdve3b.jpg

Cook chamber
2weyqgz.jpg

Frame-will weld on some 3/4 #9 flat expanded for the wood storage shelf.
2vcbbza.jpg

Inner firebox baffle piece (bowtie) and the smokestack side endcap for the cook chamber
2hwh4xf.jpg

Firebox

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a great start! Keep the pics coming! Looks Great!

Thank you for the kind words. That first brisket will be sweet,.....overcooked or not!
29fqiiw.jpg

Firebox/cook chamber opening endcap (you need two of them) 5x10 opening for a 50 sq inch opening
256vbl4.jpg

Stack is 4"ID X36" long to get it out of eye height and for good draw. Will be attached with a cut 45 degree elbow and come out at grate height-per Aaron Franklin

2jaxpgw.jpg

Supports for cook chamber, traced to actual OD of the cook chamber and cut on a band saw.

Last edited:
your welcome! and its the journey to that brisket that will be the payoff nothing like watching your own creation turn out some Que..

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what did that pipe set you back?

About $42 per foot if i get a full 21 ft length and pick it up. I did price out having flat plate rolled into a "pipe" and it was at least 2X per foot over the pipe. I really like your take on the round firebox cooker and have no doubt it will be a killer smoker?

About $42 per foot if i get a full 21 ft length and pick it up. I did price out having flat plate rolled into a "pipe" and it was at least 2X per foot over the pipe. I really like your take on the round firebox cooker and have no doubt it will be a killer smoker?

Gotcha. The pipe you have saves you from having to draw up custom templates for supports though as it's more uniform in diameter.

The rolling for this was $100 out of pocket at a large fab shopand the 1/4 sheet steel was free (it pays to be in the stamping industry with awesome bosses) . So money wise, I couldn't beat it! Thanks! Going to add a warming rack above the firebox, but no plans for a top door-figure I would be shooting myself in the foot by adding more gaskets.

Keep on saying baffle when I mean damper, the photos above are of the firebox damper, not baffle. Baffle comes later.

dnd17a.jpg

Got the cook chamber on top of frame tonight, to commence tomorrow. Looks like it's tilting, but it's not-just angle of camera.
2w3uq7p.jpg

Smoker door marked, from approximately 2 inches smaller than the top midpoint and extends down to the horizontal midpoint (3oclock). 3 1/2 inches inwards from the ends.

Some guys go bigger, some a true 90degrees, I went smaller for smoke and heat preservation-not planning on a upper rack so that's enough door space.

Grate height from ground-39 inches. Feels right to have it a couple inches higher than waist height.

Last edited:
Back