Teams leaving before awards

You lost me in all that but I think what you are saying is that you agree with me, the city (community) didn't support the competition by being being an obstruction by putting silly rules on the new organizer, instead of being helpful. Contests that are used as a fundraiser for charity or another cause sometimes have a tough time justifying subsidizing the prize pot to bring in top teams in like tduff. When teams become more of a pain in the ass than what it is worth to them they pull the plug leaving us with less contests. You don't see that as a problem because the 4 you have left are bulletproof, I hope you are correct or you will have over 50 teams that will have to drive further that weekend.
Actually that isn't why we lost Spearfish at all. It was known from day 1 that the city would organize it for 3 years and then it would need to be passed on to another organization such as a non profit to be used as a fundraiser. The city employee who organized it became attached to it and didn't want to give it up so she took it over. While still an employee of the city she was not able to seek sponsors for the event due to it being a conflict of interest. She hired a company to do that for her and they never actually went to work doing what they were supposed to. At no point EVER was it canceled because "the community didn't support it". So yeah, i'll be quite comfortable knowing the 4 we currently have are very healthy. At least 2 of the 4 will see over 50 teams next year, one considering expanding to a double header. I find it quite ironic in your post that the mentioned organizer's primary concern was money yet his issue with teams was that they were taking all the money. Quite hypocritical if you ask me. Any organizer who's primary concern is how much money they will be making will never put on a successful sanctioned contest. If having some of the best cooks in the country visit your state and community to compete in a cooking contest isn't of any value to an organizer then maybe a sanctioned contest just isn't for them. Several others around the country who run successful contests see it.

You lost me in all that but I think what you are saying is that you agree with me, the city (community) didn't support the competition by being being an obstruction by putting silly rules on the new organizer, instead of being helpful. Contests that are used as a fundraiser for charity or another cause sometimes have a tough time justifying subsidizing the prize pot to bring in top teams in like tduff. When teams become more of a pain in the ass than what it is worth to them they pull the plug leaving us with less contests. You don't see that as a problem because the 4 you have left are bulletproof, I hope you are correct or you will have over 50 teams that will have to drive further that weekend.

If a second year or older contest can't draw 25 teams from the region the biggest issue isn't with a handful of traveling teams that get the contest to 25.

No, i don't agree with you at all. It was the city's plan from the beginning. You need to realize that the organizer is a city employee and that is why the conflict of interest. But it seems you might need to look into the facts instead of just assuming the community doesn't support it, especially considering the city is still providing the site for the contest if and when it comes back. What you are calling a "pain in the ass" isn't that at all to a good organizer.

All I know for sure is that there is an Iowa team right here that will go to Vermillion contest from now on. Top notch, one minor glitch but what they did to make the teams feel important more than made up for it. And if the other SD contests treat the teams as well as Vermillion did I may be doing more of them.

We left early once because the Firemen came to the awards and told us we HAD to move our truck and smoker because they wanted to hang a banner....Not our fault we wanted to stay BUT we sure did get some looks :(

Up here in the great white north most contests are sat/sun and most of our contests are 6+ hours away now. So when awards are at 5 and we get to leave at 6 and walk in the door after unloading the trailer and dropping off my teammate at 1 am and have to be at work for 7 I'm going to skip the awards and roll out at 3pm after clean up so I'm not a puddle at my job on Monday.

You paid for your spot and were pushed out? At least it was the Fire DP, but the I can't imagine a promoter letting this kind of thing happen.

We left early once because the Firemen came to the awards and told us we HAD to move our truck and smoker because they wanted to hang a banner....Not our fault we wanted to stay BUT we sure did get some looks :(

If a second year or older contest can't draw 25 teams from the region the biggest issue isn't with a handful of traveling teams that get the contest to 25.

Our biggest issue is population, we probably only have 12 teams in our whole state and only 3 or 4 of us go to more than 2 contests....lol

No, i don't agree with you at all. It was the city's plan from the beginning. You need to realize that the organizer is a city employee and that is why the conflict of interest. But it seems you might need to look into the facts instead of just assuming the community doesn't support it, especially considering the city is still providing the site for the contest if and when it comes back. What you are calling a "pain in the ass" isn't that at all to a good organizer.
You forgot the fact that she was the only interested party/business/organization to come forward to try to keep it going....thst doesn't sound like much support.

You paid for your spot and were pushed out? At least it was the Fire DP, but the I can't imagine a promoter letting this kind of thing happen.

I spoke to her about it after we had cooled off from being angry and she said that she look into it

A couple days later I get a email apology and free entry for next year.

I spoke to her about it after we had cooled off from being angry and she said that she look into it

A couple days later I get a email apology and free entry for next year.
Maybe take a pan of BBQ to their firehouse and thank them for their service. Perhaps the irony will have value in the future.

I know this thread has gone in a number of directions...

I just have to say that I'm completely jealous of anyone that can be ready to go before awards...we're lucky if we have our crap together before it gets dark!!!! If there was a fifth category for last to leave...we'd be GC every time!!

You forgot the fact that she was the only interested party/business/organization to come forward to try to keep it going....thst doesn't sound like much support.
Once again false. You really should learn the facts and stop posting false information

Our biggest issue is population, we probably only have 12 teams in our whole state and only 3 or 4 of us go to more than 2 contests....lol

And bitching about teams that are not local and the false perception that they just come in and take all the money while expecting unreasonable demands isn't a good way to grow competition barbecue in your area that relies on those teams for your contests to survive either.

I know this thread has gone in a number of directions...

I just have to say that I'm completely jealous of anyone that can be ready to go before awards...we're lucky if we have our crap together before it gets dark!!!! If there was a fifth category for last to leave...we'd be GC every time!!

I second this!

I have nothing against teams doing this. In fact you can ask anyone that knows me don't matter how I do after award are over I am gone. Actually I got reserve earlier this year and did not even notice I had to sign a w9 to get my check I shook hands and hauled ass outta there . Got halfway home only to realize I had no check thank goodness I knew the reps and brought my check to the next comp.

Back