Margarine on ribs?

I searched a bit yesterday. couldnt find an exact smoke point for margarine. It seems to be very close to butter though

Now I'm curious -- has anybody tried bacon fat or lard? High smoke point and compatible flavor... I don't usually wrap ribs, but I think I'll experiment.

Johnny Triggs method. A ton of comp cooks do it now. Parkay for (high heat) brown sugar, Honey, tiger sauce. then wrap. Won him several awards.

Makes ribs into candy one bite wonders!

I've seen comps where they say they add "butter" to their ribs then apply an abundance of Squeeze Parkay.
That stuff isn't even margarine... more of a flavored vegetable oil with additives. YUCK!!!

I searched a bit yesterday. couldnt find an exact smoke point for margarine. It seems to be very close to butter though

The milk solids in butter brown well below the smoke point, so it can darken ribs even before it burns/smokes. Margarine doesn't have those same milk solids, so it won't darken the ribs the same way.

That said, for comps and sometimes at home I use butter. Fark that margarine chit. :boxing::becky:

yuck...margarine scares me.....i could see butter maybe...

Wuss!:heh:

I have done it several times. I can eat half a rack. Lately I prefer the natural pig butter like in this close-up...
Screenshot_2016-09-30-20-47-50.jpg

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be....unnatural." ;-)

I've tried the whole competition ribs style a few times and I don't really care for it, mainly because they taste so rich and sweet that by the second rib I'm done, they taste amazing the first couple bites then by he second rib I can't eat anymore, as mentioned I get it for competition where you gotta score your points on a bite or two but at home i want to eat a pile of ribs. To me, adding more fat to ribs is like bringing sand to the beach.....just my thoughts.

The milk solids in butter brown well below the smoke point, so it can darken ribs even before it burns/smokes. Margarine doesn't have those same milk solids, so it won't darken the ribs the same way.

That said, for comps and sometimes at home I use butter. Fark that margarine chit. :boxing::becky:

Interesting.

I know alot of folks ramp temps up when they wrap but i tend to slow things down. I make a rib with a sweet buttery mix cut in half with bbq sauce. When i make ribs for other people those are the ones they like.

Back