• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Learning lessons on the Lang

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Been waiting for this day... bright, sunny, low humidity in the seventies... on the newly acquired Lang 48... and took notes on its personality.

Overall... a few observations (and lessons learned from mistakes)... altho it behaved better than my BSKD... no surprise there.

1. The charcoal basket held nearly 20 lbs of K... for 4 hours of burn time.
picture.php

Once the first load burned down... added with a full chimney of lit K every 90 minutes.

2.To get to initial temp: both intakes/dampers 100% open, firedoor, smoker door propped open) to 300* (Edit: Added meats @ 300* in consideration of the anticipated temp drop - Tanx Divemaster) then closed down except for one intake the temp held and was hands free for nearly 2 hours plus/minus 5 degrees with the air intakes nearly closed... as shown in pic.

Prob will require more intake on a larger load of meat (50-100 lbs) compared to my two slabs.
picture.php

3. The maiden voyage was Dino bones (marinaded in greek dressing with a new rub).
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

4. The temp did climb a little (10*) once the basket was fully in flame. Then it was no intakes (all closed except for the 'stack) for nearly 30 minutes... and temps were stable.

5. The only downside... the ribs (7 hours) were moist and great to look at... however it was a bit too salty... musta been too heavy on the rub... was caked too hard... (edit ...or might been a sodium overload complicated by the marinade). It was good enough for the dogs with the bones... after the meat was stripped.

6. Overall: Very impressed with the Lang... the temps are easy to manage (with k). I think its a keeper.

:wink:

Last edited:
Looks great Bob!

Getting to know a new smoker is like getting to know a new
woman. Figuring out her hot spots and cool spots, how she
breaths, what she likes to have in her and how hot she will
get when you give her exactly what she wants.:lol:

Paying close attention to these things has many rewards.:wink:

Looks great Bob!

What he said is so true.

Looks great Bob!

Please do not let my wife see this, she is already jealous of the copious amounts of time that I spend with my ques...

Back