Breathing smoke when cooking means you don't taste it until the next day?

Johnny in L.A.

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How do you all deal with this phenomenon? Or is this just the way it is?

I recently switched to pellet cooking and need to save all the smoke flavor I can get. I reverse-seared a tri-tip and it had some smoke flavor at dinner that night. I enjoyed it. But the next two days when I ate leftovers I was surprised by how good the flavor was, including the amount of smoke. It was twice as good!

I attribute that to breathing a bunch of smoke when I peeked in. I'm going to try holding my breath when the cooker is open and see if that makes a difference.

An old trick I was told is after you cook while the meat is resting, go take a shower if possible. Get any smoke residue off your skin particularly around the face and nose.

An old trick I was told is after you cook while the meat is resting, go take a shower if possible. Get any smoke residue off your skin particularly around the face and nose.

Great idea, William!! :clap2:

Agreed. Shower and brush teeth or gargle to reset the senses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like the shower idea a lot. I think it is true that you taste the smoke less right after cooking.

So true, I always taste the smoke better the next day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Somebody before said using a saline spray to wash out your nose. That helps too.

I'm pretty sure that it just tastes smokier the next day as well.

I find that all the leftovers are a lot smokier tasting than fresh. Especially with vegetables and beans.

Back