Age old question...Yoder or MAK

BurnMac42

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So switching gears after doing a little more research and I'm going to snag a pellet grill instead of a Komodo. I read thru the entire MAK thread along with all the older threads I could find concerning these two grills. Before I pulled the trigger I want to check and see if anybody has an updated comparison of the two?

Looking at the Yoder they are now WiFi/Bluetooth as well as the MAK (an add on option) which I really like. Has anyone cooked on Yoder with their new controller?

Cost wise it appears the MAK 1 Star and the Yoder YS640 are about equal before adding options. However to get the MAK w/ WiFi/Bluetooth I believe I would have to add a $300 controller.

From initial shopping it appears the MAK is a bit pricier than the Yoder. Would love any input on both units...they both seem amazing. I'm coming from a UDS if that helps...

Well, if you read the MAK thread you know my choice and recommendation... lol.

That said, and I do not recall if this has been mentioned so I’ll add one bit of info. One of the common Yoder concerns/complaints is the paint. Seems to be hit and miss with owners, but I have seen a lot of owners sell just because of the paint/rust frustrations they experienced. The MAK 1 Star is constructed with aluminized steel and then finished with a super high quality powder coat finish. Why do I mention the aluminized steel? Because it means you’ll never have to deal with rust even if you do have a new dings and scratches in the powder coating as the years go by. My first gen 1 Star had a few minor battle wounds, most of them I did touch up for no other reason than aesthetics, but never ever a speck of rust. I loved that!!

Well, if you read the MAK thread you know my choice and recommendation... lol.

That said, and I do not recall if this has been mentioned so I’ll add one bit of info. One of the common Yoder concerns/complaints is the paint. Seems to be hit and miss with owners, but I have seen a lot of owners sell just because of the paint/rust frustrations they experienced. The MAK 1 Star is constructed with aluminized steel and then finished with a super high quality powder coat finish. Why do I mention the aluminized steel? Because it means you’ll never have to deal with rust even if you do have a new dings and scratches in the powder coating as the years go by. My first gen 1 Star had a few minor battle wounds, most of them I did touch up for no other reason than aesthetics, but never ever a speck of rust. I loved that!!

I have read that in the other threads. I'm surprised they haven't fixed that issue yet....

I owned a Yoder YS640 for a year and for the most part really liked it. I sold it because I realized I am not pellet guy. I fall into the camp of people who feel the smoke favor is not as good on a pellet smoker, but favor is all about preference. I kept my YS640 clean and in my garage so I never had an issue with rust. If your going to buy a pellet smoker, I would recommend the YS640.

I’ve had a yoder 640, Memphis elite and gmg davey Crockett. The yoder rust drove me crazy so I sold it. The Memphis elite was built like a switch watch and very nice...yoder layout and smoke flavor might of been a little bit better. That being said, I wanted more smoke flavor after a couple years of pellets so I went another route.

All that said, if I was going to buy another pellet grill, I’d try a Mak. Be aware the yoder will grill circles around a Mak imo if you are looking to grill with direct flame and at higher temps due to its two door deflector you can get. If wanting to grill indirectly, the Mak will likely do better with its flame zone as yoder doesn’t recommend going over 400 degrees indirect with the trap door closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve had a yoder 640, Memphis elite and gmg davey Crockett. The yoder rust drove me crazy so I sold it. The Memphis elite was built like a switch watch and very nice...yoder layout and smoke flavor might of been a little bit better. That being said, I wanted more smoke flavor after a couple years of pellets so I went another route.

All that said, if I was going to buy another pellet grill, I’d try a Mak. Be aware the yoder will grill circles around a Mak imo if you are looking to grill with direct flame and at higher temps due to its two door deflector you can get. If wanting to grill indirectly, the Mak will likely do better with its flame zone as yoder doesn’t recommend going over 400 degrees indirect with the trap door closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey buddy- Totally agree that the Yoder will provide a dedicated area of way more intense and concentrated heat, but you are aware that the MAK’s Funnel Flame Zone has removable covers exposing intense semi-direct heat, right? It’s a different heat than Yoder for sure, but an amazingly even grilling heat across the entire cooking surface. The 2 Star comes standard with the Funnel Flame Zone, whereas it’s an upgrade on the 1 Star. I say all of this only because of the reference to indirect grilling on the MAK. The MAK’s are not at all limited to only indirect heat :)

I went back & forth on this for a while as well. Especially now that Yoder has the new controller. I went with a MAK because it’s American made, its stainless. No rust worries. & because I’ve only heard good things about their customer support. Is the Price scary? Heck yes! The size of the MAK is deceiving. So far it’s been great for smoking & I am very impressed with the FZ. I have seared several steaks & burgers with ease! It takes a little longer to heat up than my gasser but it Sears just a well. If paint issues don’t bother you, then then I think the Yoder is a good fit. If it does, then I’d go with the MAK. I think you’re going to find pros & cons on both cookers. There’s a few little things on the MAK that I think could be improved or added but so far, it’s been a very easy cooker to use, the smoke flavor is really good & so is the grilling. I think you’ll be pleased with either choice. I will say just my experience & the people at MAK have been awesome to me & I don’t regret my decision at all. This grill is built very well & the WiFi has made me very lazy! Drink a beer & check my phone that’s it!

Last edited:
I was between Yoder and MAK myself, went with MAK because of all of the stainless, and what isn’t stainless if powder coated. Not to mention made in the US and powered buy they’re own controller that they designed. Also a MAK is designed to be a pellet cooker buy a company that only builds pellet cookers, not a pellet cooker being built by some that is know for other types of cookers.

I am blown away by the construction of it. My only regret is that I didn’t buy it sooner...

Good luck with your decision!

Something else to consider if the price is close - the MAK shipping is free, I don't know if the same is true of the Yoder.

I keep going back and forth on the MAK 1 or 2 star. This will basically be a smoker and that's it so with that in mind is the jump to the 2 star still worth it? I'll still have my Weber for routine grill work....

Pinging #rwalters haha....I sent one PM but went to send a second and your inbox is full

I keep going back and forth on the MAK 1 or 2 star. This will basically be a smoker and that's it so with that in mind is the jump to the 2 star still worth it? I'll still have my Weber for routine grill work....

Pinging #rwalters haha....I sent one PM but went to send a second and your inbox is full

If you don’t want to grill, the 1 Star would be fine. And you could add the FlameZone later if you change your mind.

(Or at that point, sell your 1 Star and pick up a 2 Star. I know someone that did just that. :twisted:)

It is not from Yoder's exclusive online retailer......after researching most of the day I've decided to go MAK.

Congrats and a wise decision! I'm sure Robb will chime in soon, but I can say I'm extremely happy with my decision to go 2⭐️. The flame zone, extra capacity, warming drawer, and a few other options already outlined made it worth the extra cash for me. I've already gotten an extra full add 3/4 grate and this thing now holds at least 5x the amount of my The Good One Open Range. I have zero regrets about my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry bud... crazy day. Just cleared out my inbox. Please resend.

It is not from Yoder's exclusive online retailer......after researching most of the day I've decided to go MAK.

Awesome! You’re going to love it. So easy to use & great customer service!! What options did you get?

Congratulations on your decision !!!

My vote is for the 2 Star!

It falls into the buy once cry once category!

I hear what you’re saying about the Weber still being your go-to grill, and perhaps you’re right. That said, I have a hunch you may be wrong. Just sayin’...

Both do a fantastic job of smoking and roasting. Bring the Funnel Flame Zone into play and now you have a very nice pellet grill.

If you go the 1 Star route, what accessories do you see yourself adding?

Having cooked on both the 1 and 2 Stars, personally I much prefer the 2 Star because of its extreme versatility/ruggedness right out of the box. Not that the 1 Star isn’t rugged or versatile... but with the 2 Star you’re taking marine grade 304 SS and most all the bells and whistles as standard equipment.

Last edited:

I have a 1 Star with the FlameZone, went with the 1 Star not because of the price but because of it's smaller footprint width wise. Have a small covered patio and the wife said she didn't want a buch of grills/smokers taking up all the patio space, also have a Weber Performer with the foldable shelf vs the larger fixed shelf, they store nicely in a nook created by the fireplace chimney.

That being said if we were to move and had more space for my cooking hobbies would I sell the 1 Star to get a 2 Star? Nope, perfectly happy with the 1 Star and God willing I will still be cooking on it 20 years from now.

Back