MARCH ***SPECIAL*** "Brethren Inspired" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Lasts All Month!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New March Special Throwdown Category is...

"Brethren Inspired"

w0JJgq0.jpg

[FONT=&quot]This was Fatback Joe's winning entry in the 2017 "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pork Belly[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" Throwdown.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. The meal or main dish you prepare must be based on ANY past Throwdown winner, OR, alternately, any meal or dish from another Brethren posted in Qtalk. You can find many sources of inspiration HERE, from past winners dating back to 2009 in the Hall of Flame.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. You MUST include a link to Throwdown entry of the past winner, OR original post and link from Qtalk and include their name in your entry.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. You only need to prepare the main dish from a previous winning entry, or Qtalk thread although it's fine if you want to include the sides or any accompanying items that were included[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] in the dish or meal that you source.[/FONT].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this TD! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. Standard Throwdown rules apply.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Click here to READ THE RULES BEFORE entering the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/28 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/30/20.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/30/20.

[/FONT]

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
No entries yet. Bummer. The one I've been wanting to copy needs an ingredient that I can't get anywhere. Maybe that'll change next week.

Ooohhh... I may have found something. And since the entire state is on lock down...

St. Louis ribs inspired by the collective experience gained over several years on this site. To comply with the TD instructions, among my inspirations was the disparate and often conflicting advice compiled in Magnus's "Weber kettle grill -- fire advice for ribs" thread and many others like it. If that's insufficient to ward off a Dilly Bar, I won't cry about it. Probably.

My cook thread, with a full explanation of the inspiration is here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279798

CCJKkZ080m5QQVNgAfOoS4RW-DtfDu43PNpiGa9EnieHRx36LII5L76I9Nk1RKTLoJE2kiJmbJzMfdOcCUEnXBJaNSHZStVzOpzYsLtJyAVtW5ZF3LAmT7_Wp-UhzKJMEGJnRzuqeNk=w600

Let me pose a theoretical - there is a brethren that has posted a lot about a particular way of cooking/preparing meat that inspired me to try it on my own, though the meat I used isn't exactly the same cut as any of the threads this person posted - kosher or no? I could still link to my inspiration.

Don't want to push the boundaries but just thought I'd check :thumb:

I don't see a problem. It was inspired by a Brethren. Although I do see what's probably your concern: "You only need to prepare the main dish from a previous winning entry, or Qtalk thread". Worst case, you get a delicious Dilly Bar, but we get to see a potentially awesome cook. I've had several Dilly's, they taste good!

Let me pose a theoretical - there is a brethren that has posted a lot about a particular way of cooking/preparing meat that inspired me to try it on my own, though the meat I used isn't exactly the same cut as any of the threads this person posted - kosher or no? I could still link to my inspiration.

Don't want to push the boundaries but just thought I'd check :thumb:

I say go for it

My "Brethren inspired" dish is pastrami beef ribs. I'm a huge fan of pastrami and for years now Jason TQ has been wowing me with his random pickling/corning of things and making "pastrami" with them. I finally tried corning a Boston butt and it came out great, so I decided my next adventure would be ribs like Jason TQ....except beef ribs.

If this does not adhere to the intent of the TD then I will accept my dilly bar :-D

cook thread

My thread inspiration(s)

please use this one for my submission:

td-pastrami-ribs.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to those that were able to enter this Throwdown - poll to follow shortly!

This is my entry into the "Brethren Inspired" Throwdown!

Here a Link to SSV's cook thread back in 2016: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225647

Here a link the the entire cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279842

Just as a side note, I've been saving a link to a throw-down entry that you did a few years ago with the intention of someday making it myself.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209872&highlight=beef+rouladen

I've even acquired a couple jars of Rotkohl for the side. Timing of this one didn't support my intentions however, but sometime this summer I'll get to it.

Just as a side note, I've been saving a link to a throw-down entry that you did a few years ago with the intention of someday making it myself.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209872&highlight=beef+rouladen

I've even acquired a couple jars of Rotkohl for the side. Timing of this one didn't support my intentions however, but sometime this summer I'll get to it.
Thank you Maylar. I remember that cook and it was oh so delicious! The Pickle inside was the thing that really sent it over the top.

Back