Paying up front?

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A question was brought up in another post. Do you pay for the comp (send in a check) when you send in your sign up sheet? Or do you wait till your accepted and they request payment. I've always paid up front (some are 4 -6 mths out) when I send in my comp app but that limits me to how many comps I can do early in the year. How does everyone else do it?

Depends

I try and pay for contest registrations about 1-2 months out. However, many of my compatriots who cook like to pay when they arrive. They usually contact the promoter and tell them they are coming several weeks or so before the event. With money being tight, it is logical that cooks want to pay as late as possible.

I just received an application for a competition in August. They want payment sent with the application.

I think that most do pay upfront. But at a few comps this year I heard some teams say they are paying when they get there or a few weeks out. We have only done backyard but we've vend a few BBQ comps as well. We are going "pro" next year and was just wondering is this the norm.

Most comps expect a check at time of application. Once or twice I've made special arrangments, but those are exceptions. Usually I pay ASAP to reserve a spot, or the last day before the early bird discount goes up.

No more than 90 days unless it's a "no refund for any reason" comp then it's as close to the event as possible.

As an organizer, I only consider a team to be entered into a contest when their money is in my hands. Sending in an app without payment means no more than a verbal "Yeah, we'll be cooking your contest this year" - interesting to know, but not an entry.

Every contest I've entered as a cook operates the same way.

All comps around here require payment with the application. If you send a application with no payment, you are not officially entered.

Just curious, (we rarely compete outside CA,) is and early bird dicount pretty common everywhere? It is here, so we wait until the last couple days before that deadline.

Some promoters out here now have their registration completely online, and you can't even submit your registration form without an online payment.

Thx.

Just curious, (we rarely compete outside CA,) is and early bird dicount pretty common everywhere? It is here, so we wait until the last couple days before that deadline.

Some promoters out here now have their registration completely online, and you can't even submit your registration form without an online payment.

Thx.

I think I saw about 3 contests out of the 19 we did that had early discounts. So not a large portion. Could be different elsewhere. More seem to be doing online too which is really nice.

Back