• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

To charcoal or not?

djgibby

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I have a very large Hickory tree uprooted on my property. I use a lot of Hickory, but this is more than I can use in my stick burner before it begins to ruin since I don't have a covered place to keep it all. If I turn it into charcoal, will it retain any of the Hickory flavor or will it become worthless for smoke?

I know this is not an answer to your question but it might be another solution to your problem. Just get the wood off the ground and cover it. It will keep for years that way. I stack wood on palettes and cover it with a tarp.

might retain a little depending on how you make it

but for the most part, no

but home made charcoal is the best!! Dont let that stop you!!

I know this is not an answer to your question but it might be another solution to your problem. Just get the wood off the ground and cover it. It will keep for years that way. I stack wood on palettes and cover it with a tarp.

^this! Buy some cheap landscape timbers or pressure treated 2x4s. Stack the wood splits on that and then put a tarp on it. It will last years.

^this! Buy some cheap landscape timbers or pressure treated 2x4s. Stack the wood splits on that and then put a tarp on it. It will last years.

This again! AND.... feel free to make a little charcoal. HEY!! Sell some of the splits after they're seasoned.

Once wood is converted to charcoal all the esters & resins that make wood special are burned off. Yellar pine charcoal will give the same flavor profile as mesquite charcoal. Cut it split it sell some keep some & make some charcoal. the important thing is to keep it off the ground ( old pallets) a folded Blue tarp to just cover the very top of the pile & Bob's ur Uncle

Back