~thirdeye's~ Nova Lox - Double Cured & Cold Smoked

This is a great thread, Thirdeye. Do you wrap the fish after smoking while it rests overnight?

After about 3 hours in the fridge I do cover it in plastic wrap. I give it some time without wrap to avoid condensation.

Thank You for a Great Tutorial Can not wait to try this Is this on your blog too

Yes it is, and so is my dry cured and hot smoked method.

D(what is proper, "Dang?")amn y'all. I only have my MB electric, numerous charcoalers & gassers, & big fryer, and, now, thanks to y'all & Toast, I need to go for a cold smoker & infrared "fryer." She who must be obeyed may be upset with my Christmas purchases............Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Thanks have been a fan of you for a while always great pictures an explanations Man thanks for sharing. :clap::clap2::thumb: Thirdeye you Da Man.

The best wild caught salmon I have bought, believe it or not, is from W/M. Frozen of course. I have very good success with cheese using the can and pencil trick. Your Nova Lox is next, I love that stuff. Thanks a million!

In your "small batch brine" you state 1/8 ounce of white sugar, should this be 1/8 cup?

Small batch: 1 quart of water, 2.5 ounces of salt, 1/8 ounce (or 2 Tablespoons) of white sugar

1/8 oz = 2 tablespoons

Tried Your Dry Rub Salmon

Thirdeye, wanted to let you know I tried your dry rub salmon last Saturday. IT WAS EXCELLENT! Thank you so much. Served the salmon at a Christmas Open House I had and it was the first thing gone. Ready to try the Nova Lox now. Thanks again.

You might have seen some of my earlier posts about Nova lox...my technique was developed from many sources and for well over a year I continued to refine my method. It's now December of 2012, and I'm ready to publish Revision 3, which I have been using for 11 months.

Thirdeye. I have made this 2 times with 2 small changes.

1. Used maple sugar rather than brown sugar.
2. And use Apple, pecan and alder food..

Amazingly good! THANK YOU!

Thank you, this info is amazing. Lox is on my BBQ bucket list.

Regarding safety, does anyone know if particular varieties of salmon are more or less likely to be safe if you don't freeze them?

I may have to try this one of these days. I've always been lazy and just make Gravlax.

Glad this got Bumped. I have a frozen Salmon side at my store with no plans for it. I will be using the method! Thanks for all you research and testing Thirdeye!!

PHENOMINAL recipe and technique.
Far and away, the best smoked salmon I've ever had was from this recipe.

I may have to do some more this Christmas season.
Stuff is amazing.

Thanks for the bump.

Back