Injecting Pork Butt?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've BBQ'd lots of very tasty IBP pork butts, with just a rub of salt, pepper, paprika & garlic. They always turn out great.

I was wondering about injecting. How could the pork butts benefit from it? How different would it taste? Which syringe(s) should I purchase?

Thanks,
Jennifer

I used to think that brining and injecting pork butts was not necessary because they had enough fat and connective tissue to keep the meat moist and tasty.

I eventually tried bring on a couple large cooks and the result was great, more flavor, more moisture, and the brine also helped to unravel some of the proteins making it tender as well. The downfall was that the brining process took up a lot of space in our refrigerators.

Brining worked so well that I tried injecting the butts just so I didn't have three refrigerators full. My first attempt went well using Chris Lilly's Championship Pork Injection. It worked well, but found it to be too salty to the taste. My next attempt I cut the salt in half and it was much better.

I had purchased some OakRidge Game Changer Brine for a large chicken cook for my American Legion. The result was so stellar that I gave it a try as an injection for my next pork cook. I cannot put into words how everybody raved about the end result of pulled pork.

Now, I always inject using OakRidge Game Changer Brine, using 1 tablespoon to one cup of apple juice for every 8 lb butt. Basically 1 ounce of liquid for every pound of meat. I have also learned to simplify the process by injecting the pork butt right through the cyro-packaging making one hole but injecting at many different angles to evenly distribute the liquid. I inject a few hours before cooking (2 - 4 hours), and let them sit as I ready the smoker and set up the prep area.

As I unpack the pork butts, I apply the rub, and let the meat sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes to let the rub hold firmly onto the meat, then into a pre-warmed smoker.

The injected pork is done much earlier than conventional pork cooks. The bone begins to wiggle like a loose tooth at around 185 - 187 degrees. After a 4 hour rest, the pork pulls in very long tender strands which make it more appealing to the eye than the shorter pieces of the conventional cooking method. The pork is full of flavor from the brine ingredients as well as from the fruit juice.

The type of syringe doesn't really matter, but I prefer a 4 ounce syringe with a 5 - 6 inch needle with large side ports in the needle itself. I use a stainless steel Weston injector and needle, but any syringe will work. I also have a "No-Cents pressure injector that I use when I am injecting more than 8 butts, but would not recommend it for casual use with only a couple butts at a time. While it make injecting easier, it does take time to mix and set-up and by that time the task could have already been done with a hand held injector.

I have also substituted peach nectar, pear nectar, and plum cider in place of apple juice/cider with great results. FireCraft also has a line of hand held meat pumps that are reasonably priced. I was considering getting one of those for when I cook a small amount of pork or chicken.

I now always inject my pork: each and every cook....

My first attempt went well using Chris Lilly's Championship Pork Injection. It worked well, but found it to be too salty to the taste. My next attempt I cut the salt in half and it was much better.

You found the same thing with his injection that I did and I also cut back on the salt. I don't inject anymore. After pulling the pork, I just lightly dust with the rub and mix it in. Works great.

I use the Cajun Injector that originally came with a jar of Cajun Marinade. It just fits my hand well.

http://amzn.com/B00005NUVV

Injecting get flavor deep into the butt where the rub or brine can't penetrate.

I just had a post on injecting into a pork shoulder:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201546

I use this injector:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KDZ1VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Bayou Classic 5011 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector with Marinade Needles : Turkey Injector : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yj1cuQPQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41yj1cuQPQL[/ame]

A few important notes:

1) Get an injector that has more than one hold in the needle, like the one above. It actually works in keeping the distribution even.

2) When injecting a pork shoulder only inject in the seams between the muscles (the fatty connective tissue). Using this technique I injected a full cup of liquid and very little came out, maybe 2-3 tablespoons

3) I don't think the injection has to be anything too complex. I did just concentrated apple cider. The sugar made a nice bark and the liquid keep the inside very moist, but you can't taste any apple, it gets cooked off. I think this will be true for most ingredients except basic spices like salt. I would maybe add a tablespoon of salt to my cup (16 tablespoons) to my cider mixture next time.

I just use a cheapo Weston injector from Amazon now it works better than my stainless injector from cabellas. It's sharp and works great for the price, it was about $6

MadMan explained it pretty well; shortening the cook time, putting the flavors way down in the pork (not just on the bark), and to a degree adding moisture.

I am a competitor, and frankly every competitor DOES inject, and most have their own version that starts from Chris Lilly's (it's that correct, EXCEPT it's WAY WAY WAY too salty). I disagree with cutting the salt in half; use about 1/4th that much, at the MOST.

A very simple injection that will tie in the flavors of your rub is to mix up some apple juice (no water, no extra sugar either), a little worchestershire, and some of your rub. This puts the wonderful flavor of your rub way down in the meat enhanced slightly with the extra fruitiness of the apple juice.

What cider instead of juice?

Chris Lilly has a great recepie for Pork injection online. I have done it several times and never been disappointed. I have used juice and then water if your concerned about being to sweet. I have a Spitjack injector and it is great when doing lots of meat.

I like to inject pork butts too....usually with a kicked up (spicy) beef stock.
I have an abundance of sterilized sealed veterinary syringes I use for the cattle and horses, they work great for injecting meat.

Injecting butts with extra flavor is great. Keep in mind whatever flavor you put into it will mellow so I normally go with a very potent injection.

I've been injecting more lately. My approach to cooking is usually simple and lazy, but I like the flavor I get from injecting pork butts.

Last PP cook I tried a version of Chris Lily's injection with half the salt and I substituted smoked pork stock for the water. I doctored a little after that to get the balance I was seeking (I think I added more AJ - yeah, I know, write stuff down :tsk:) and I was very pleased with the results and the folks who were eating it seemed to really like it too.

I like to inject pork butts too....usually with a kicked up (spicy) beef stock.
I have an abundance of sterilized sealed veterinary syringes I use for the cattle and horses, they work great for injecting meat.[/QUOTE]

:-D Funny that you mention this I have been using vet needles and syringes for years, they work great!
I also inject butts with apple juice in place of beef stock, for spices I just use whatever I have in the cabinet..... :shock:
That being said some mixtures/combos are really GREAT and some not so much.:doh:

Thanks for asking Jennifer. I believe that I will be injecting my next butt! :thumb:

I never injected pork butts until after I attended a Chris Marks BBQ 101. I use the Split Jack Injector; [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SpitJack-Magnum-Meat-Injector-needles/dp/B003WQIAR4"]Amazon.com : The SpitJack Magnum Meat Injector Gun (with 2 needles) : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BJZ%2ByL6mL.@@AMEPARAM@@31%2BJZ%2ByL6mL[/ame]
I also learned that if you inject directly into the meat, it will be forced out because meat is dense and doesn't hold injections. Instead, shoot the injection into the walls between the different meat muscles. You can locate these walls by looking for the lines of fat/sinue that separate the muscles. The walls will form pockets for the injection to set in. Another spot to inject is around the bones as it will do the same. A great injection is 1/3rd Cup of your rub mixed with 1 quart of water. I have substituted the water with chicken broth and OMG. It's worth the experimentation and I believe it made a very good improvement in my pulled pork. Good Luck!!!

I began to inject my butts for comps. Now I do it for home use I use the SpitJack injector- works great I use Fab products

Of course we always inject for comps, but at home and for vending and catering that I do, I ALWAYS inject with Chris Lilly's Pork Injection (using kosher salt ilo table salt to cut down on saltiness a bit). Always. Love the product it puts out and so do my customers.

I have been using this injector for years and love it, but when I do pork butts, I usually do at least 8 at a time, so the pump is great. If just doing 1 or 2, a cheapo works great.

50a43a36_20140109_202158.jpg

I also used Chris Lilly's recipe but I found it perfect for me, not too salty like the others mentioned. If I have time I always inject now. I like to inject and rub my butts and put them back in the fridge for an hour or two to let the injection work some magic.

I started with a cheapo injector and since I liked doing it I bought one of the handgun looking styles.

I injected my first a couple of weeks ago and used an apple juice base with some of my rub, injected about 4 hours before I put them on. It cooked faster but the texture of the meat changed, seemed a little mushy to me. I will try it again with just AJ, thinking maybe something in the rub impacted the meat texture

Back