Paste Rubs?

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I saw a thread a while back where people use a paste rub as a base for their dry rub. I guess this helps build a better crust on a high heat brisket. Is anyone else here doing that?

Can anyone suggest a paste rub that would go along with bovine bold or smokin guns hot?

I did a paste of worcheshire( I know spelled wrong) and bovine bold on an eye of round roast a few weeks ago. It was good, but didn't set because I only took it to medium rare.

I did a paste of worcheshire( I know spelled wrong) and bovine bold on an eye of round roast a few weeks ago. It was good, but didn't set because I only took it to medium rare.

Ya, I'd imagine going just dry or with olive oil for a roast would work better. Kind of like a steak in that way.

262 views... I'm guessing that people either don't use paste rubs or they don't want to share their secrets. ;)

The price of brisket lately makes this an expensive experiment

Chris Lilly's brisket recipe calls for a slather of crushed bouillon and wooster. I've had it with Bovine Bold and it is good.

To me Mustard sucks, Mayo sucks as it cooks into the meat. Folks say you can't taste it. I call Bull Chit. Can taste it on beef chicken and pork. I just leave the meat wet and go heavy with rub because I'm after the taste of BBQ.

If a crust is what you're after and those rubs are what you like then I suggest simply applying your rubs like you usually do and letting the rub "set". It'll draw out some moisture from the brisket. Then before she goes in the smoker hit her again and more will stick to the now sticky brisket. That's how I do it when I'm wanting a heavy crust.

I try not to introduce new flavors to a combo I already like when dealing with items costing over $20. The cheap stuff is where I experiment.

hmmm, I might be wrong here by your definition of paste rub. Sometimes I will mix up a bourbon and brown sugar paste and add in my preferred rub. It turns out okay but I am not big on the sweet stuff as I prefer meat and not candy hence why I loathe competition style ribs. I use to use mustard to help my dry rub stick but I have since switched to olive oil.

I use an olive oil/rub/herb paste under the skin on poultry and either that or mayo and rub as Bludawg described on the outside of the skin.
For beef and pork however, I start with a layer of veggie oil and then apply my SPOG, maybe some paprika as well if I'm doing pork, then allow it to "liquify" (as Johnny Trigg described it) and allow the natural oils in the spices to release, I get great flavor and a great bark with this.:grin:

hmmm, I might be wrong here by your definition of paste rub. Sometimes I will mix up a bourbon and brown sugar paste and add in my preferred rub. It turns out okay but I am not big on the sweet stuff as I prefer meat and not candy hence why I loathe competition style ribs. I use to use mustard to help my dry rub stick but I have since switched to olive oil.

So the link above was from JD McGee and he basically summed up what the guys for the Virtual Weber Bullet forum were doing for high heat briskets. It looks like they were laying with a wet rub before putting a dry rub on.

The results JD got looked amazing. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had tried this method with a wet then dry rub. I've actually never used these rubs that I just ordered and I know that crust suffers when wrapped in foil. JD's brisket didn't look like it suffered at all.

So I saw a thread a while back where people use a paste rub as a base for their dry rub. I guess this helps build a better crust on a high heat brisket. Is anyone else here doing that?

Can anyone suggest a paste rub that would go along with bovine bold or smokin guns hot?

Too drunk to find it right now....

U find it... It's somewhere.

Back