• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker Build

hamiltont

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just finished up with the Smoker Build. Well, my design and a local welding shop's expertise... Thanks to all the pics & discussions on the Brethren I designed what I call the Heinz 57 Smoker... It's 36”x36”x48” with 1.5” Mineral Wool Insulation. 14 ga. Interior walls & 16 ga. Exterior walls. Dual 1” Ball Valves of which I will connect my Ique-110 Temp Controller to one of. 7 racks for ultimate flexibility. A diverter plate, water/grease pan and ash pan.

I have a few things left to do. 1) Flooring for the rest of the trailer. I'm looking for recommendations here. Diamond Plate or Treated Plywood, and why one over the other besides just cost. 2) Fire Basket. I have a line on some stainless steel expanded so I'll make the basket out of that, and a few other things. I'll post a pic of that when it's done. It will slide on rails just like the racks do. And of course 3) The burn...

The Trailer arrived in parts, literally. Fortunately everything was there & undamaged:
TrailerinParts_zps95fd8ee9.jpg

The trailer assembled with the axle set back:
TrailerAssembled_zps8dba829f.jpg

The beginning:
Smoker-1_zps19767273.jpg

In the garage ready for paint. It took 6 spray cans of Rustoleum:
Smoker-4_zpsc53c5699.jpg

Painted and assembled:
Smoker-13_zps5b904208.jpg

The guts:
Smoker-12_zpsbfd9bf49.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sweet! Have you considered expanded metal for the floor; or go with diamond plate! Also consider some short side walls just to keep stuff in.

Do the racks have stops to keep them from Sliding all the way out? Im curios if so how that works.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

i would go with black diamond plate, 1/8 or 1/4 decking would look better then 1" or 2" wood

one thing you're missing is a hole for your probe wires.....wish mine had a hole so i didnt have to run them in the door and get in my way

Sweet! Have you considered expanded metal for the floor; or go with diamond plate! Also consider some short side walls just to keep stuff in.

I thought about an expanded floor but I want to keep the road debris away from the pit. We live on a gravel road & it can make a mess outa things... Side walls? Good point! Thanks!!!

Do the racks have stops to keep them from Sliding all the way out? Im curios if so how that works.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

No stops on the racks. I wanted the ability to remove some of the racks depending on the cook. The racks are spaced 4" top-to-top.

i would go with black diamond plate, 1/8 or 1/4 decking would look better then 1" or 2" wood

Black Diamond Plate would look awesome! Thanks!!

one thing you're missing is a hole for your probe wires.....wish mine had a hole so i didnt have to run them in the door and get in my way

I thought about that but I figured the hole would have to be pretty big to accommodate the 90 degree bend in the probe going through a 1.5" wall. I plan to run the wires from the top and/or side and hope the gasket seals it up?? Thanks for the idea though!!!

I thought about that but I figured the hole would have to be pretty big to accommodate the 90 degree bend in the probe going through a 1.5" wall. I plan to run the wires from the top and/or side and hope the gasket seals it up?? Thanks for the idea though!!!

ran into that issue before....just had to straighten that 90 out a little bit

Nice, is this for ribs, I can see where you can pull racks to do chickens or butts. I built one similar to this. My shelves were to close, this made a problem. Looks nice a good build, you must be proud, GOOD JOB

Nice, is this for ribs, I can see where you can pull racks to do chickens or butts. I built one similar to this. My shelves were to close, this made a problem. Looks nice a good build, you must be proud, GOOD JOB

Thanks!!!

I'll be able to BBQ just about anything that will fit on a rack. Envisioning 7 racks full of Baby Backs is a bit intimidating right now but hopefully some day it will be a reality. Same for Pork Butts or Briskets. I can pull the top rack & then every other one leaving 3 racks 8" apart. I can fit 9 Pork Butts on each rack for a total of 27. I really can't fathom that right now either.... Briskets? I figure a max of 4 per rack depending on their size for a total of 12. I must be nuts! That's what the wife thinks anyway...

Back