Pork Question

DakotaBBQ

Reaction score
Does anyone or has anyone "jicard" their pork shoulders at competition? . I know it does wonders on Ball Tip steaks and I use it on home cooked pork loin. My shoulders come out pretty tender but does this help? Or is it just be considered lazy. Never crossed my mind until tonight though. Any insight would be great.

Mike

I think the only real benefit of a jacard on a brisket or butt might be to "shove" rub directly into the meat after rubbing. IMO, you get tender butts based on how you cook not how you prep.

That was a FANTASTIC video! I could almost see what he was working on sometimes! Whoever did the camera work deserves an award. :thumb:

It was funny how he said to not use the Jicard too much and then proceeded to punch more holes than a train conductor.

wow.................although he worked the jicard for 3:00 minutes, i'm not sure he actually penetrated the surface. it didn't look like really got very deep. i guess the air and the mustard will do the trick anyway.

You guys HAVE to put a warning out there...

"Warning, watching the video link below may actually waste X:XX minutes of your day"

Man I didn't know if I only tenderized the outer portion like he did would help AND that if I cook fat side down I'm wrong AND if you over jacardize it will reduce the cooking time by 40%. Wow, I was worried about only reducing it by 39% or less.

Thanks guys, good laugh for the morning.

don't forget to talk to your meat while you beat it.....wtf?? :confused:

HAHAHA!!!! That was pretty funny! Well I think I'm just gonna keep that thing for my ball tips and round steak.

I usually like to use EVOO on my shoulders before applying my rub and I seem to get really tender pork. I have never used yellow mustard. I see a lot of people using it now. According to that video it gets in to the meat and breaks more connective tissue up. Is this really the case?

HAHAHA!!!! That was pretty funny! Well I think I'm just gonna keep that thing for my ball tips and round steak.

I usually like to use EVOO on my shoulders before applying my rub and I seem to get really tender pork. I have never used yellow mustard. I see a lot of people using it now. According to that video it gets in to the meat and breaks more connective tissue up. Is this really the case?

I've been using mustard for other reasons but not for the BS reason that guy claims.

Just thinking out loud....but if Myron had of done this on the Pitmasters show, if there would have been a run on Jicards at the local specialty stores.....

Just thinking out loud....but if Myron had of done this on the Pitmasters show, if there would have been a run on Jicards at the local specialty stores.....

Well I know I really like his muffin pan idea, but not enough to be "that guy" using that idea. People would say "you just learned that watching the show". And they would be right. HAHA But it is kind of hard to believe that he was the FIRST person to try it. Maybe so, what do I know. I sure would like to meet him one day though. He sounds like a hoot!

It was funny how he said to not use the Jicard too much and then proceeded to punch more holes than a train conductor.

I was thinkin the same. :crazy:

The bacon/brown sugar tweak sounds like it might be worth a shot, though.

I was thinkin the same. :crazy:

The bacon/brown sugar tweak sounds like it might be worth a shot, though.

Wouldn't putting bacon on top of your pork put nitrates into the meat? It sounds so good but nitrates kind of change the taste and texture of the pork.

Like you said though, might be worth a shot.

I've used bacon to wrap Filet Mignons and on top of whole roasted beef tenderloins and can't say that it's changed the texture of the meat.

I've used bacon to wrap Filet Mignons and on top of whole roasted beef tenderloins and can't say that it's changed the texture of the meat.

Have you tried it on any pork? I've wrapped pork loin like a fillet and you can deffinitly tell a difference. Think will just have to play with it a little and see how it turns out.

I can't believe i watched that. :rolleyes:

Nice to know yellow mustard is what breaks down the meat. :heh:

Nothing quite like culinary swill :doh:

That's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back! Me thinks he "over-jiccarded" his own meat whilst he was talking about how you shouldn't over do it.

Also, he can put all the bacon he wants on that pork, it will only penetrate the outer inch or so. ...and if he's cooking anything else below those pork butts, they'll taste just like bacon.

If you want to do well in pork, I would suggest not following this guy's techniques...just my $.02

Kev

Interesting perspective

I use a jicard on steaks, but never tried on the pork butt. I second the vote for the camera man :thumb: !!!

Back