• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Team of Year bonus points drops again to 25 teams

Untraceable

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Nov Quick Notes said:
Bill Capstack: Motion to award TOY contest bonus points based on team attendance to be changed from 35 teams to 25 teams. 2ND BIGLER.
RICHTER: WE WERE AT 50 DOWN TO 35 FOR 2015, HISTORICALLY WE’VE WAITED BETWEEN CHANGES. 25 ONLY MATTERS TO JACK AND ROYAL FOR THEIR QUALIFICATIONS. RUNNING AT 37 FOR AVERAGE NUMBER OF TEAMS PER CONTEST. END OF YEAR CHASE MAKES IT FUN FOR TEAMS AT THOSE CONTESTS. DOWN TO 25 IT CUTS THE EXCITEMENT.

HAYS: LAKELAND LAST WEEKEND AN EXAMPLE OF THAT. 2 TEAMS FROM OKLAHOMA MADE IT 35 TEAMS.

COLLIER: WHAT’S REASONING TO LOWER IT MORE.

CAPSTACK: ANALYSIS OF 2014 AND 2015 THRU LAST WEEKEND. IN 2014, 60.4% OF ALL CONTESTS ARE LESS THAN 35 TEAMS PARTICIPATING. 2015, THE NUMBER IS 54% ARE LESS THAN 35 TEAMS. RATIONALE IS TO HELP SMALLER CONTESTS, THAT’S WHY WE WENT TO 35 FOR 2015. 25 ADDED POINTS HELP THE SMALLER CONTEST. MORE CONTESTS CANCELLED IN 2015.

BIGLER: LOWER IT TO 25 IT SHOULD HELP SMALLER CONTESTS TO STICK AROUND.

PETERS: TEAM OF YEAR FOR 2% OF OUR MEMBERSHIP, JACK AND ROYAL FOR THE LITTLE TEAMS. PROBLEM STACKS THE TOP OF TEAM OF THE YEAR BECAUSE BETTER TEAMS WILL GO TO SMALLER CONTESTS AND GET MORE TOP FINISHES AND MORE TIES.

FULTON: ORGANIZERS TRY TO BUILD CONTEST UP EACH YEAR, SOME ORGANIZERS DO STRUGGLE FOR TEAMS. WOULDN’T 25 HELP AN ORGANIZER TRYING TO BUILD AN EVENT?

PETERS: DON’T KNOW IF IT WOULD OR WOULDN’T.

WEAVER: MAY HAVE AN ANSWER, CHANGING THE POINT SPREAD WILL ASSIST SMALLER CONTESTS BECAUSE IT GIVES MORE TEAMS A CHANCE TO HIT TOP 25 IN TEAM OF THE YEAR, SO TEAMS MAY COOK 25 TEAM CONTEST.

COLLIER: I DON’T KNOW IF IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. TEAMS CALL NOW TO SEE HOW MANY TEAMS ARE AT A CONTEST.

RICHTER: TOOK IT FROM 50 TO 35, HIT LARGE CONTESTS. HITS BIG CONTESTS AGAIN GOING TO 25. MORE CHERRY PICKING IF WE TAKE IT DOWN LOWER.

COLLIER: MORE LAST MINUTE SIGN UPS, I’D RATHER POINTS GO UP RATHER THAN DOWN.

CAPSTACK: AND THAT HURTS THE SMALL CONTESTS, RIGHT?

COLLIER: THERE’S ONLY 2% THAT SHOP CONTESTS TO CHASE POINTS.

CAPSTACK: BUT 60% OF OUR CONTESTS ARE LESS THAN 35 TEAMS.

RICHTER/COLLIER: IT’S ONLY A HANDFUL OF TEAMS. KEEP IT UP TO KEEP THE TOP TEAMS CHASING.

SIMMONS: 60% GREATER CHANCE OF TIES DROPPING POINTS IF YOU DROP THE NUMBER.

CAPSTACK: DROPPED LAST YEAR AND WE THOUGHT THERE’D BE MORE TIES AND THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN. RECOMMEND THIS TO HELP THE SMALLER CONTESTS.

ROLL CALL: AYE: BIGLER, WEAVER, CAPSTACK, COMPTON, FULTON, LOHMAN. NAY: COLLIER, POLSON, HAYS, RICHTER, SIMMONS. MOTION PASSED.
- See more at: http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=898#sthash.QjZwVN8G.dpuf

No benefit in winning major contests anymore.

So if it only has an effect on 2% of the teams? Can I ask why the hell the board is even stepping is this steaming pile of dog crap? Ridiculous. Now this is just me thinking out loud. ... Isn't there better things and under a more urgent basis, things to worry about. Cough judging. Cough cough. And I want to thank the BOD members who voted against this waste of time motion. The BOD is falling for the soccer syndrome. Ribbons for everyone. You want to be a TOY team? Go and earn it.

I got no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that the teams that do chase TOY points were all pretty vocal against this change. If they're the ones who want it to stay the same, why change it?

Headed the wrong direction. Award the 2%'ers for winning bigger contests. Making the 2% into 3% doesn't make a better TOY.

I couldn't give less of a fark about team of the year points. I do care that the Board is (for some reason that I won't speculate on) very interested in and paying attention to this issue rather than the judging inconsistency issue that seems to be in the forefront of competitors' minds.

I got no dog in this fight, but it seems to me that the teams that do chase TOY points were all pretty vocal against this change. If they're the ones who want it to stay the same, why change it?

I'm with Chad on this one...it just doesn't make sense. We'll never be TOY points chasers in our current lives (maybe when we retire :becky:), but I don't understand why they're not listening to the teams who are!

This year, the points teams were dropping out if you didn't get 35 teams, now they will drop out if you get more than 30 total or 3-4 top teams. Let the slumming begin.

I'm not really opposed to the more even point split (there usually isn't much difference between the top few teams), but having essentially no bonus points doesn't make much sense to me.

It is going to take 10 GC's to tie for the TOY. You might be able to get those cooking quite a few bigger contests. However, the tiebreaker is category points and those are going to be lower if you cook larger contests.

I would like to see some serious dialogue on ideas to improve TOY. This is just change for the sake of change. They have no idea of the ramifications of switching it from 50 to 35 let alone dropping it again. Heck, the "old" system was poorly thought out at best.

We commit to contests that we like and cook them. I don't look at the team list or the team count. I can't tell you how many events I went to that struggled because several teams would drop out the week of the event because they couldn't hit the magical 35. Now, the opposite may be true.

I can tell you from experience, that teams can't "chase" for more than a couple of years. It takes too much of a toll on work, family and your wallet and a lot of good cooks fall through the cracks because of it. I understand winning TOY should take an effort, but having to cook 35-40 weekends a year to have a shot is too much to ask when the finances of cooking are what they are.

We have smart people involved at all levels of our "sport". Why can't we come together with facts and ideas to make TOY something that makes sense and accessible to more than a handful of people?

With that in mind, if KCBS won't tackle it, why can't we have another organization take it on. Does a Blues Hog or Big Poppa Smokers Team of the Year sound good to anyone?

I would like to see some serious dialogue on ideas to improve TOY. This is just change for the sake of change. They have no idea of the ramifications of switching it from 50 to 35 let alone dropping it again. Heck, the "old" system was poorly thought out at best.

We commit to contests that we like and cook them. I don't look at the team list or the team count. I can't tell you how many events I went to that struggled because several teams would drop out the week of the event because they couldn't hit the magical 35. Now, the opposite may be true.

I can tell you from experience, that teams can't "chase" for more than a couple of years. It takes too much of a toll on work, family and your wallet and a lot of good cooks fall through the cracks because of it. I understand winning TOY should take an effort, but having to cook 35-40 weekends a year to have a shot is too much to ask when the finances of cooking are what they are.

We have smart people involved at all levels of our "sport". Why can't we come together with facts and ideas to make TOY something that makes sense and accessible to more than a handful of people?

With that in mind, if KCBS won't tackle it, why can't we have another organization take it on. Does a Blues Hog or Big Poppa Smokers Team of the Year sound good to anyone?

Spot on.

I for one would love to see a points system that would work for more than %2 of cook teams to legitimately chase. As far as I'm concerned, whatever they do with the current system will never affect me because I'll never be able to cook 35-40 contests. Having to cook that many in my opinion doesn't put much hype or spotlight on TOY because as you said only a hand full of teams chase it and if you look at it historically after a 2-3 years many teams stop.

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. Do they really think that contests are going to be saved because they lowered the bonus points?

I just read the whole bonus point rule and the whole thing makes no sense. Have one point system that is the same for all contests and be done with it. That would eliminate the problem all together. They all pay the same number of points, period!

Clark Crew -12gc 4rgc (37 contests)
American Dream 10gc 4rgc (36 Contests)
Iowa Smokey D's 8gc 6rgc (27 Contests)
Smoke Me Silly 8gc 4rgc (31 contests)
Big Poppa Smokers 6gc 5rgc (25 Contests)

There's your top 5 today

Spot on.

I for one would love to see a points system that would work for more than %2 of cook teams to legitimately chase. As far as I'm concerned, whatever they do with the current system will never affect me because I'll never be able to cook 35-40 contests. Having to cook that many in my opinion doesn't put much hype or spotlight on TOY because as you said only a hand full of teams chase it and if you look at it historically after a 2-3 years many teams stop.

I agree 100%. Awarding quantity over quality doesn't make much sense. Of course there needs to be a minimum, but I would rather see the average score play some part of it. Yes, I know, that opens a whole other can of worms.

Clark Crew -12gc 4rgc (37 contests)
American Dream 10gc 4rgc (36 Contests)
Iowa Smokey D's 8gc 6rgc (27 Contests)
Smoke Me Silly 8gc 4rgc (31 contests)
Big Poppa Smokers 6gc 5rgc (25 Contests)

There's your top 5 today

I don't think that there is any question that the team that wins it deserves it. That top 5 can't be argued with.

I think the problem lies in how exclusionary it has become and that KCBS is using it to manipulate contest attendance to varying degrees of success instead of creating competition. I think they should focus on having a lesser number of healthy events instead of having a bunch of low paying one and dones.

It would hit them in the pocket book at first so it is a no go, but I think it is short sighted.

I agree 100%. Awarding quantity over quality doesn't make much sense. Of course there needs to be a minimum, but I would rather see the average score play some part of it. Yes, I know, that opens a whole other can of worms

Raising the bonus point level awards quality.
KCBS only takes top 10 contests. It's not their fault top teams are doing 35+ though

Last edited:
I don't think that there is any question that the team that wins it deserves it. That top 5 can't be argued with.

I think the problem lies in how exclusionary it has become and that KCBS is using it to manipulate contest attendance to varying degrees of success instead of creating competition. I think they should focus on having a lesser number of healthy events instead of having a bunch of low paying one and dones.

It would hit them in the pocket book at first so it is a no go, but I think it is short sighted.

I made a similar argument to the PNWBA who continually sanction $2500-$3000 events. Their reasoning I got back was people were tired of seeing the same people win, more teams should have a chance to go to the Royal/Jack, the TOY teams don't make up the majority of the membership.

There is an inherent problem when you mix Pro teams, with semi-pro teams, with hobbyists, and recreational teams.

Back