Another Guam Style Brisket

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for deer camp at my house. Wanted to make something for friends to snack on. The recipe is from a friend in Guam.

Here's the last brisket... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206773

Sliced a brisket in about 1/4 to 1/2" slices. I trim most of the fat off but leave some on. It gets nice and crisp around the edges. I let the meat marinade overnight.

canning%20brisket%20burger%20025%20resize_zpss5wabatl.jpg

canning%20brisket%20burger%20026%20resized_zpsrgaiy1rc.jpg

canning%20brisket%20burger%20028resize_zpshge4mers.jpg

canning%20brisket%20burger%20028resize_zpshge4mers.jpg

1/2 cup Kosher salt;
2 cups brown sugar
3 tbsp Mortons Tenderquick Home Meat Cure
3 tbsp minced fresh Ginger
1/2 cup of soy sauce
4 quarts of water

resized_zpsflmk5lom.jpg

Set the hot coal rack on the Hasty Bake to the lowest level, removed the cooking grate and hung the strips of meat on the upper grate..

resized_zpsglbqntcw.jpg

guam%20brisket%20015sized_zpslemmuynh.jpg

The Hasty Bake temp stayed below 170F with the door closed.

guam%20brisket%20047resized_zpszi99b85y.jpg

guam%20brisket%20045%20resized_zpsqhtqyfqm.jpg

guam%20brisket%20078resized_zps2sa99sen.jpg

guam%20brisket%20073resized_zpsvo6nd9en.jpg

guam%20brisket%20067resized_zps65qljbwm.jpg

The strips take from 4 to 6 hours depending on thickness. I pull them off of the cooker when they are pliable and still plump and juicy.

guam%20brisket%20082resize_zpsieruoq2s.jpg

guam%20brisket%20087%20resize_zpso9z8sxkq.jpg

guam%20brisket%20088resized_zpsddpbint7.jpg

guam%20brisket%20091resized_zpsayguset1.jpg

I'm hooked on this stuff. I like to have it on hand for a quick snack/meal. :-D

Thanks for looking!

edited to add..
I take the grate into the house and prop it up over a foil pan while loading the meat. Then carry the full rack of meat out to the cooker. It's just easier for me to do it this way.

Last edited:
Those look amazing... I was just thinking about trying to hang meat in my hasty. Might as well start with your recipe! Thanks.

Those look amazing... I was just thinking about trying to hang meat in my hasty. Might as well start with your recipe! Thanks.

Thank you ColoradoSmoke! I just read your thread. I can't speak for the Pit Barrel (I don't own one) but the Hasty Bake works pretty well for hanging meat. Good luck to you! :-D

I think that needs to happen at casa de gtr - especially after the last poor brisket I murdered! Thanks for the post and the recipe Jeanie - this looks fantastic!

That looks delicious Jeanie! Best of luck to you and your friends this deer season!

I think that needs to happen at casa de gtr - especially after the last poor brisket I murdered! Thanks for the post and the recipe Jeanie - this looks fantastic!

Thanks Greg! Hope your camp trip went well. I'm betting it was a blast. :becky:

Seems I need to get another smoker to do "jerky" type cooks.
Thanks Matt! I really like the Hasty Bake. It's one of my favorite cookers. :-D

Nice .. Nice ... Nice ... Again ... Again ... Again .....You NEVER have a bum cook !!!

lol I do have bum cooks! :doh: Most of the time I cook things that are too simple to screw up. Thanks Mike. :becky:

That looks delicious Jeanie! Best of luck to you and your friends this deer season!
Thanks so much Sam! :hug: Hope you have a great season too!

Thanks Greg! Hope your camp trip went well. I'm betting it was a blast. :becky:

Thanks Matt! I really like the Hasty Bake. It's one of my favorite cookers. :-D

Oh it was a blast alright! A .22 blast, a 12 gauge blast, a black powder blast, a mini-14 blast...:heh:

Ughh that looks crazy good Jeanie! Another of your cooks bookmarked and on my not so short shortlist!

Thank you Chris! Hope you like the stuff. :-D

Wow, I just love your cooks!!! Amazing.
Thanks so much Grimguy! I want to experiment with different marinades but this one is so easy and tasty. I'm stuck in a rut. :laugh:

Oh it was a blast alright! A .22 blast, a 12 gauge blast, a black powder blast, a mini-14 blast...:heh:

Awesome!! That sounds like my kind of camp! :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back