Reverse Flow Build

wango

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm helping my son build a reverse flow smoker. He picked up this air compressor off craigslist for $50. Its really old, the tag says 1950, 80 gallon and 1/4" thick. This is our first R/F build

I had this rolling table/workbench given to me years ago. I used it for a couple projects and its been sitting in the corner of my shop cluttered up with crap ever since. We needed legs and casters for the smoker so we decided this would be a good time to re-purpose it. It had a plywood top which we removed before I took this pic

Last edited:
The tag on the carriage reads Douglas Aircraft Co. "Pallet Storage-Rocket". So the name of his grill is now "The Rocket". We removed the angle iron frame and test fit the tank, turns out that the original rocket and our Rocket must be about the same size because it fit like a glove

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours with a wire wheel and a die grinder cleaning up the outside, indexed the tank and welded a piece of flat stock on to use as a guide to cut the cook chamber doors.

A friend had a small pile of 1/4" tread plate that he donated to the cause. We are using it for the firebox and warming box. These pics are of the firebox

How far should the baffle plate be from the cooking grate? I've read online anywhere from 2" to 8". Ours is going to be about 4" at the firebox end and 5" at the far end. Is there a rule of thumb?

How far should the baffle plate be from the cooking grate? I've read online anywhere from 2" to 8". Ours is going to be about 4" at the firebox end and 5" at the far end. Is there a rule of thumb?

i think Shirley posted theirs are 3"..........?

Serious craftsmanship goin' on there Chief. Looks outstanding so far. Damn I should have learned to weld.

VR,
Harold

Nice build, Wango. It does look like a fun project.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this has really been a fun project, we're already talking about the next one we want to build. :-D Last weekend was my son's 21st birthday, so we didn't get a lot done on the smoker. He did have a little captain in him....

I was the D.D. so I made sure he got home safe, then on Saturday we took our concealed pistol class. We did manage to get a little bit done on the Rocket on Sunday. We finished the firebox door, installed the hinges, seal and handle.

Back