Chicken Brine

Wornslick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to cook some chicken wings tommorow and was thinking about brining them. Does anyone have a brine recipe for chicken? Thanks, :biggrin:

I just began using a mix of 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar mixed with 1 gallon of water. I like it a lot.

I would advise that wings have a high skin to mass ratio, so brine them for a short time, maybe only an hour or so. It won't take a long time to get them brined up.

I would advise that wings have a high skin to mass ratio, so brine them for a short time, maybe only an hour or so. It won't take a long time to get them brined up.

Thanks Bob, I didn't think it would take to long either. This will be my first attempt at brining. I am anxious to try it. :lol:

I use 3/4 cup Kosher salt, 3/4 cup plain sugar - mix with about 2 cups water - bring almost to a simmer in large pot stirring constantly to dissolve salt and sugar - let cool, add Tbsp black pepper corns, add chicken and about 3/4 gallon of water.

Don't think wings will give you much to evaluate brining because they have so little meat.

Would recommend a whole chicken and then spatchcock (butterfly) it after about 4-5 hours brine time (or put it on the rotisserie) . Rinse really well before cooking or adding rub or seasoning.

Will be interested in hearing what you think about it with the wings.

Well we just got done sampling the wings I cooked today. I brined them using Smokewatchers recipe. About a week or two ago I found out that my Stump needs air to cook properly ( left slide closed on fan ) and today I found out I need fuel to make heat ( couldn't get the temp up even with guru running full speed, ran out of lump in chute ) Go firgure huh. :oops:

Anyhow I started the wings at 300 degrees, for about a half hour. Temp dropped to 275, added fuel, got temp up to 375 for about a hour and 15 minutes.

I don't know if it was the brine or the silly way I cooked them but they were outstanding. Very juicy and the skin was very good. Wasn't rubbery nor crispy. Best I've done so far. Rubbed with half Plowboys and half Texas BBQ rub. Also did some chicken breast wrapped in bacon which the wife really liked. Now I have to cook a bunch for her next cackling hen party. :biggrin:

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN0969.jpg

Here is a brine recipe for wings that gives them a real good flavor
Beer and a smoky flavor MMMMMMM Good!!

This is for about a pound and a half of wings

• 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
  • 12 ounces mexican beer
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh (optional)
Place wings in a shallow bowl and sprinkle with salt,thyme and pepper.
Pour beer over chicken and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate 2-6 hours.
Drain chicken reserving marinade.
Brush wings with marinade over wings occasionally

Here is a brine recipe for wings that gives them a real good flavor
Beer and a smoky flavor MMMMMMM Good!!

This is for about a pound and a half of wings

• 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
  • 12 ounces mexican beer
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh (optional)
Place wings in a shallow bowl and sprinkle with salt,thyme and pepper.
Pour beer over chicken and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate 2-6 hours.
Drain chicken reserving marinade.
Brush wings with marinade over wings occasionally

You should prolly toss that marinade after you are done with it and not keep it, since it has been in with raw chicken.

My $.02 anyway

g

If you save marinade for basting, bring to a boil first before basting. Very important. I make extra, then use what has not been exposed to any uncooked food. Much safer and less time involved. Stay safe. Steve.

I am going to cook some chicken wings tommorow and was thinking about brining them. Does anyone have a brine recipe for chicken? Thanks, :biggrin:

I like Alton Brown's Orange juice brine. Look it up on the food network website.

You should prolly toss that marinade after you are done with it and not keep it, since it has been in with raw chicken.

My $.02 anyway

g
I 2nd that. Never a good idea to re-use a mixture that had raw chicken in it prior. To each his/her own tho :rolleyes:

Mike

If you re-use the brine for basting and are bringing it to a boil to reduce, I don't know that I see an issue. Boiling the brine should make it safe. Good enough for baby bottles...

Back