• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal setup - Weber summit

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Dumb question
I use the gas jet to start the coals.
It starts smoking and some coals are white
However my next step is to close the lid and keep the upper vent open.
Is this right?
Should I keep the Weber top open until the coals are fully ashes up?

Thanks for the advice

My understanding is that you close the lid to let the grill come to temperature. You close the rapdfire damper after the desired temperature is reached.

That's from both the user manual and the summit cook book.

Howver, I'd definitely like to hear others experiences leaving the lid opened.

My understanding is that you close the lid to let the grill come to temperature. You close the rapdfire damper after the desired temperature is reached.

That's from both the user manual and the summit cook book.

Howver, I'd definitely like to hear others experiences leaving the lid opened.

This is exactly what I do. I was just wondering if I needed the charcoal to ash over

I don't mark, I let the gas assist run for 5 to 10 minutes or better depending on what temp I am going to be running.

For example, I smoked ribs this afternoon and here's what I did... Pour in charcoal and Pecan lump, open the bottom vent to dump (all the way right) hit the gas assist for 5 minutes. Cut off the gas assist, put in the diverter, put in the drip pans, put the grill in and closed the lid. With the bottom vent wide open I flipped open the top vent. Watch the temps and when I'm within 50° I move the bottom vent to the left about a 1/4" to the right of the low slow mark. When I'm within 25° I flip the top vent down and open the top vent to almost 1/2 hole and it slides right up to 300°, let it settle for a a bit and put the ribs on...

I don't mark, I let the gas assist run for 5 to 10 minutes or better depending on what temp I am going to be running.

For example, I smoked ribs this afternoon and here's what I did... Pour in charcoal and Pecan lump, open the bottom vent to dump (all the way right) hit the gas assist for 5 minutes. Cut off the gas assist, put in the diverter, put in the drip pans, put the grill in and closed the lid. With the bottom vent wide open I flipped open the top vent. Watch the temps and when I'm within 50° I move the bottom vent to the left about a 1/4" to the right of the low slow mark. When I'm within 25° I flip the top vent down and open the top vent to almost 1/2 hole and it slides right up to 300°, let it settle for a a bit and put the ribs on...

Yes. Me too.

I think it depends on what kind of cook you are doing. Indirect or smoke do what you have been. If you want to cook direct keep the lid open until all coals are grayed over. Gas assist does not to stay on the entire time.

Back