Couple of Chuckies on The Offset

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First smoke since my road trip to The Texas Hill country. Smoking a couple of 5lb chucks with oak and a little mesquite. I rubbed the chuckies with Black's bbq rub.

Good color so far, but isn't the drip pan supposed to go under the meat? :mrgreen:

I follow the Gary Wiviott idea of using it to help even out the heat from the fire box.

Oooohhh those are gonna be goooood!:icon_smile_tongue:

I was kidding there Wesman... :wink:

Looking good Wes, I have two 3lbrs I plan on smoking later this week.

I was kidding there Wesman... :wink:

Oh, ok.
Man, I'm having trouble with fire management. I thought I had this smoker down. I'm just coming to the conclusion that it's just too small. It's hard to keep the heat in the cook chamber below 350 degrees. If I add less wood then the fire goes out because there's not enough embers to keep things going. If I add enough wood to keep the fire going good then it's too hot. This thing is great for smoking chicken and tritip but chucks, butts and brisket, not so much.

Try smaller splits more often. Small, clean fire....

That's basically what I'm doing. I use splits that are about 8" long and I cut them down to about 2 to 3 inches diameter. I suppose I could split them to about 1 inch.

For my LSG vertical offset, I started switching to taking your typical split and cutting it into 4 chunks. Then I would add one or two of those chunks at a time when needed. The smaller splits burned better (not just the middle), and they created a cleaner, smaller fire. I looked at it that I was using the chunks to feed the bed which provided the heat to cook the food, not the other way around. My last couple cooks on her were the best I had...

For my LSG vertical offset, I started switching to taking your typical split and cutting it into 4 chunks. Then I would add one or two of those chunks at a time when needed. The smaller splits burned better (not just the middle), and they created a cleaner, smaller fire. I looked at it that I was using the chunks to feed the bed which provided the heat to cook the food, not the other way around. My last couple cooks on her were the best I had...

The LSG vertical offset is my dream smoker!

I love chuckies and Sprouts had them on sale for 2.99/lb this past weekend. I bought 6 of them.

The LSG vertical offset is my dream smoker!

It was mine too. Until i realized how much I had to tend it. I was used to a WSM, so, once every 30 - 45 mins didn't seem like much until I actually had to do it. Went with the LSG cabinet instead and LOVE it...

It was mine too. Until i realized how much I had to tend it. I was used to a WSM, so, once every 30 - 45 mins didn't seem like much until I actually had to do it. Went with the LSG cabinet instead and LOVE it...

I have and use a Gateway Drum smoker but I don't mind tending an offset once in awhile.

Back