How Do You Store Your Bulk Rubs ?

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I used to make my rubs but it just got to be a pain so now I just buy in bulk since I found two rubs that work great together . I got them vacuum sealed in 12 ounce proportion to fit my bottles but how do you guys store them to last as long as you can ?

Last edited:
If they're sealed well and not leaking they should last like that for a long time. Put them in the freezer to extend the life some.

You are doing the best way. For those that don't have a sealer, mason jar filled to the top and put a paper towel on top for any moisture.

Most of the rubs I use are Oak Ridge. They come in nice heavy duty mylar like bags that Ziploc. I only take out what I need and use it in a shaker. Then I roll the bags up and zip them shut.

I buy most of my spices and seasonings at Penzey's. They sell nice glass jars. I bought a six ounce package of Black Ops rub that fit nicely into one of them.

If they're sealed well and not leaking they should last like that for a long time. Put them in the freezer to extend the life some.

I wondered about freezing them but does the moisture when they thaw make it clump ?

I make in bulk and vacuum seal like you. I leave out the brown sugar I use in my pork rub and mix that in 50/50 when it's time to cook. If I vacuum seal with the brown sugar I get a spicy block of sugar. Works well. Has the added benefit of being able to toss a friend a bag of rub if they enjoyed dinner.

I use canning jars and store them in a cool, dark cupboard. I can't go through rubs very fast so I try not to purchase or make large quantities at one time.

I just buy in bulk to save money and go through them in 6 to 10 months and have tried the mason jar thing but the rub after awhile just does not smell the same when first made and will not use it thinking it will mess with the taste .

I used to make my rubs but it just got to be a pain so now I just buy in bulk since I found two rubs that work great together . I got them vacuum sealed in 12 ounce proportion to fit my bottles but how do you guys store them to last as long as you can ?

My friend does the same thing, but freezes the extra packages until needed for use.

I use a good plastic tote and one of these. Works great
[

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-E-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468858266&sr=8-1&keywords=dehumidifier+for+gun+safes"]Amazon.com: New and Improved Eva-dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61pePWDOR9S.@@AMEPARAM@@61pePWDOR9S[/ame]

Back