Pit Boss 24" Ceramic Kamado at Costco

foam2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have any familiarity with the Pit Boss 24" Ceramic Kamado grill at Costco (part number 853396, M#71240) listed for $599? I was at Costco this morning and it's the first time I've seen these. Any input is appreciated.
thx

Reading the warranty is says lifetime ceramic, 5 years on metal parts.

A couple of thoughts from a loyal Primo user.

1. I've seen them at 4 different Costco's and they were $599.00 at all 4.

2. The handle was loose on all 4 of them. I'm unsure if this was just shoddy assembly but since it was the same on 4 it may be something wrong with the hardware / handle/ kamado.

3. It looks almost exactly like a larger Vision. I had a Vision and liked it. I up-graded a few years ago to my Primo and couldn't be happier.

4. Last weekend I was at my local Costco and the Pit Boss was displayed towards the front of the store and the Kamado Joe Roadshow was happening towards the back. Seeing them almost side by side, there was a big difference in the build quality. The Big Joe was going for $1,199.00 and to me, it would've been the better value. (Plus it was RED!
smile.png
)

JMHO

I just happened to be at Costco yesterday to purchase the limit per customer 3 x 2 packs of Kingsford Pro Comp Charcoal and they had the Pit Boss 24 alongside at the $599 price. The thing seemed like a beast. Snapped a few pictures and figured I'd come back when I got home to read about the unit. Not a lot about them.

Here's the pics from Costco yesterday-
20160308_171434_hdr-e1457519620662.jpg

20160308_171351_hdr.jpg

wp-1457482076524.jpg

Haven't seen one yet but based on the pics I agree, it definitely looks like a larger vision. Assuming that's basically what it is, that's a pretty good deal. They aren't the same quality as a BGE, KJ or Primo but they aren't bad and that's a big price difference

Vision makes several different cookers for different markets. This looks to be one of them

Haven't seen one yet but based on the pics I agree, it definitely looks like a larger vision. Assuming that's basically what it is, that's a pretty good deal. They aren't the same quality as a BGE, KJ or Primo but they aren't bad and that's a big price difference

Vision makes several different cookers for different markets. This looks to be one of them
I looks like a Vision but isn't. Vision is based out of the US but are made in China.

Pitt Boss is based out of the Canada but are made in China.

Not sure there is that much difference but wanted to be clear about it.

I have a vision and that looks a lot like it down to the hardware, especially that piston up front to aid in shutting the lid. Could be they are both made in the same factory. I have been very happy with mine.

I only had time to take a quick look at it, but I suspect the grate isn't as sturdy as the one on my 3 year old Vision. I really like the grate on my Vision but this one seemed like a lighter gauge to me. I am definitely going to take a closer look at it next time though - it might have just seemed that way because it is so much bigger overall. It also took a lot of effort to open the lid, but perhaps the hinge/springs weren't adjusted properly. With all that said, $600 seems like a bargain if you need one that big.

I've just purchased the Pit Boss from Costco online - I live in London, England. Costco are doing it for ÂŁ530, which is about $750. That's a fantastic price as any similar grills in England are about double the price. Waiting for it arrive - very excited as it's my first kamado bbq, only thing is that these types of grills are little known in the UK, so I'm having to explain what it is to my friends! Will post an update once it has arrived.

Some people on another forum have purchased the Pit Boss and said the flimsy ones at the Costco was due to a poor assembly. They are getting pretty solid reviews.

Quick update: the Pit Boss arrived yesterday. I am very impressed with the quality of construction, it seems well put together and made with quality components. Weighed a ton though! Takes a bit of assembly as you have to build the trolley and attached the handles and shelves yourself, but nothing to demanding. The metal grill feels pretty heavy and substantial and I'm sure will last for many years. My only concern is I would like to purchase the heat deflector but there seem to be no retailers in England. I have emailed Pit Boss to see if they can ship overseas and am awaiting their response. So this may be something to bear in mind if you are purchasing one of these units from outside the US or Canada.

Hello Ginger2309 - I'm getting a Pit Boss from costco and as I'm also in the UK I wondered if you'd had any luck with a Heat Deflector? I also emailed Pit Boss and they informed me they may have plans to have a European outlet in 6 months.

Just wondered if you'd found a suitable substitute?

Cheers
Kevin

I just looked at one of these at Costco. $599 US for a "24" inch Kamado seems like a good deal. In some ways it does not look quite at the KJ or BGE level in quality, but I see nothing that will affect the ability to cook on it. The ceramic is plenty thick, stainless hardware etc. The gasket looks questionable like the BGE but is easily replaced when needed. The dampers look OK but may not seal real well for quickly extinguishing a fire, but that is a minor issue and can be addressed if needed. Lid is a tad heavy but not bad. Two tier grid system is OK, not the best out there, but should cover a lot of ground for most users.

The one big issue is I don't think it is really 24" grid diameter. I need to go back with a tape, but I am guessing it is closer to 21" for the main grate and maybe 20" for the top one. That puts it about halfway between a large and XL BGE or classic and big Joe. Size wise, this is actually about perfect for my desires. I already have the big equipment covered so the XL is larger and pricier than I need for a Kamado, but I do worry a bit about some larger items not fitting in the 18" size. 21" is just about perfect with the big downside being third party support for grids and grid systems. That will need a bit of research.

You guys are finding these for $599?!?!

I looked at Costco and it was $750, and at Target it was $899 for the 24"

Does the price vary that much per region?

Pretty sure, but not positive that it's an offshoot of Louisiana grills. The pit boss pellet pits were manufactured by Louisiana, and sold at menards. These kamados look nearly identical to the kamados on Louisiana grills site.

Also 599 at my Costco.

Mine was 599. There was an asterisk on the sign, which according to what I've read means they are closing them out.

Costco has them at $599 in store. They were $599 plus $150 delivery online but they changed that to $749 with delivery included online. They remain $599 in store if you can find a warehouse that still has them. The Rochester NY store had 2 on the floor yesterday.

Mine was 599. There was an asterisk on the sign, which according to what I've read means they are closing them out.

They were always $599 in the US from they first day they showed up, so that is not the special close out price yet.

Costco has them at $599 in store. They were $599 plus $150 delivery online but they changed that to $749 with delivery included online. They remain $599 in store if you can find a warehouse that still has them. The Rochester NY store had 2 on the floor yesterday.

This makes sense...Thank you

I will be calling Costco today to see if they have any in stock that I can simply purchase from the warehouse

Have you guys put a DigiQ on one of these?

Back