Is it safe to handle meat if you have a cold or virus?

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i have a cold or something at the moment and was wondering
I Have a couple of rib eyes to portion and put away for ageing
I tried google and got no where
What's your thoughts?

I would also use one of those cheap masks. Cheap insurance.

From the National Health Service in the UK:

Many different types of viruses can cause colds. The viruses can sometimes survive on indoor surfaces for more than seven days. In general, viruses survive for longer on non-porous (water resistant surfaces, such as stainless steel and plastics, than porous surfaces, such as fabrics and tissues. Although cold viruses have been shown to survive on surfaces for several days, their ability to cause an infection reduces rapidly and they don't often survive longer than 24 hours.

Most viruses which cause colds only survive on hands for a short amount of time. Some only last for a few minutes but 40% of rhinoviruses, a common cold-causing virus, are still infectious on hands after one hour.

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), another cold-like virus that can cause serious illness in children, can survive on worktops and door handles for up to six hours, on clothing, and tissues for 30-45 minutes and on skin for up to 20 minutes.

Also found this:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a temperature above 167 degrees Fahrenheit or 75 degrees Celsius is sufficient to kill influenza viruses. This temperature is often cited as lethal against viruses in general.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Just keep your hands clean and don't sneeze by accident and add extra "flavor". :grin:

Thanks mate ,I will go snot free:shocked:

I would also use one of those cheap masks. Cheap insurance.

Thank you appreciate your time

From the National Health Service in the UK:

Many different types of viruses can cause colds. The viruses can sometimes survive on indoor surfaces for more than seven days. In general, viruses survive for longer on non-porous (water resistant surfaces, such as stainless steel and plastics, than porous surfaces, such as fabrics and tissues. Although cold viruses have been shown to survive on surfaces for several days, their ability to cause an infection reduces rapidly and they don't often survive longer than 24 hours.

Most viruses which cause colds only survive on hands for a short amount of time. Some only last for a few minutes but 40% of rhinoviruses, a common cold-causing virus, are still infectious on hands after one hour.

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), another cold-like virus that can cause serious illness in children, can survive on worktops and door handles for up to six hours, on clothing, and tissues for 30-45 minutes and on skin for up to 20 minutes.

Also found this:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a temperature above 167 degrees Fahrenheit or 75 degrees Celsius is sufficient to kill influenza viruses. This temperature is often cited as lethal against viruses in general.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

And thank you also

I hope you feel better soon! As we are told by the health dept., really the only reason to ever not come to work (even when working with food) is when you have to run to bathroom a lot (trying not to be descriptive there;). As others have said, wash your hands a lot, sneeze and cough into your shoulder and turn away from the food.

If the beer doesn't work, my mom used to mix raw honey and whiskey together. That seemed to work:p

Back