Head Scratcher.....

speed2486

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I seasoned up the Shirley on Saturday. After running it at about 225 for four hours I cranked it up to 325 in the main chamber just for kicks. Decided to throw a bunch of chicken on for the upcoming week. Did a dozen thighs, a three dozen wings, one pork chop and a ring bologna. The cook went well and everything turned out great. After I had pulled everything a number of neighbors just happened to show up with some cold beers and some impromptu sampling commenced. I ended up with about 6 thighs and a dozen wings left. After everything had cooled down I covered the pans in foil and put in the refrigerator. The pans were stacked one on top of the other. Last night I pulled the pans out to heat the leftover chicken up for dinner. When I went to pull the foil off of the pan on the bottom I noticed a lot of holes in it. It almost looked like the holes were due to 'corrosion' if that makes any sense. WTF???? Has anyone experienced this before? I forgot to take a pic.

I heated the chicken up and we ate it anyway. Nobody has died...... yet.

I have noticed that aluminum foil pans do corrode through quickly when they have even slightly acidic fluids in them. When I hold a pan up to the light I can see the microscopic holes in them. They may not even leak yet.

I agree. Sounds like something acidic reacted with the aluminum.

Salt in the rub will eat holes through the aluminum foil when in contact with the meat.

Hmmm..... I've foiled pans and stacked them hundreds of times and have never seen this. I didn't see any holes in the pan... Only the foil covering it. I used Cavender's Greek seasoning on the thighs. It's rather salty, so maybe that's what caused it.

I've had that happen with foil too. Before storing in the fridge, I cover the food with plastic wrap, then cover with a second layer of foil.

Back