short plate beef ribs: 225F or 250F or 285F ????

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Choise CAB plate beef ribs for the fisrt 1 at 225F
Prime CAB plate beef ribs for the other 2.

this is the 225F smoked Prime (for 10:40 hours)

IMG_7465 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

This is the 250F smoked Choise (for 8 hours)

IMG_5837 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

This is the 285F smoked Prime (6 hours)

IMG_7549 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

wich one do You prefer ???

Enrico

285 degree ones look better to me , I used to do everything low and slow at 225 but found that cooking a little hotter renders the fat a little easier .

285 no question, with the amount of fat in dino bone they can take the heat, makes for a nice bark as well

Nice experiment thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks for posting. Great info right there. Those are some dang nice ribs. What coating/rub is that? Made a great coating at all temps.

PS...You nailed them at 285

Thanks for posting. Great info right there. Those are some dang nice ribs. What coating/rub is that? Made a great coating at all temps.

PS...You nailed them at 285

Texan
225F with Ernest Servantes beef rub (Western BbqRub)
250F with Holy Cow by Meat Church
285F with SPG by Sucklebusters

I've cooked lots of 3 bone beef short (spare) racks - they render fats and tender very well at just under 300 (185 is perfect) for 6 hours. I always line my racks with bacon attached with toothpicks to increase the yeald - the end grain can dry up otherwise.

For beef back ribs, they are prefect every time - 4 hours at just under 300. I started the bacon lining for back rib yeald, but it works great for shorts too, and the finished bacon is major cooks treat!

Start baking on a neutral sauce with 2 hours to go. Believe it or not, Bullseye is phenomenal baked on to beef ribs for 2 hours.

Hope that helps

Yeah, I agree with most everyone about the 285 rendering the fat much better... Great job...
Great post!

Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post your cooks, I like to cook both beef and pork ribs between 275 and 300, I think the next time I cook a rack I'm going to cook them at 300+ and see how they turn out.

All look great however I would go for the 285 first then onto the others. Thanks for taking time to post examples of all three.

Back