Discussion Thread -> "30 Minute & Under Meal!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."30 Minute & Under Meal"

BBQ%20FIRE_zpskmpypfx9.jpg

Now THAT'S a 30 minute and under meal in the making! :heh:

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "On a Bun" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING
Shagdog said:
Prepare a meal or dish of your choosing from start to finish in 30 minutes or less. Preparing cookers, marinating and or brining time will NOT be counted in the 30 minutes - only food prep and actual cook and serving time. Leftover ingredients from previous cooks are also allowed.

Contestants will need to document the actual time it took to prep, cook, and plate their dish in their cook/entry. :biggrin1:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/6/16 through
the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 5/16/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 5/16/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Good I'm the cook and not my wife.. She couldn't even cook a grilled cheese in 30mins

So in the rules

Leftover ingredients from previous cooks are also allowed.

Does that mean I can have left over meal and then microwave to reheat it :-D

I know you are joking but just to clarify...

The entry must follow standard TD rules which means -

Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

When I added leftovers in there my intent was that you could use it as an ingredient - Taking some brisket from last night and making Quesadillas with it, or some pulled pork and making some stir fry or something. Your entry will still need to be made on some sort of outdoor cooking device.

@jwtseng - I recommend a HVLP gun for your mooglue :laugh:

OK, here's my entry. I called it, I better lead off..

I was leaving work when the Mrs called and told me I was cooking dinner.. I saw my chance and I took it. I knew they would be home from Tae Kwon Do at 7, so I planned accordingly.

For a fast meal, I chose the wok. Nothing like cooking at 8-900 degrees to get a meal done quickly. Before I started the timer, I sliced and mixed up a marinade for the meat. I used some a lb of chuck eye I bought last weekend when they were on sale for, get this, $2.99/lb! I bought all they had.

Marinade was Oyster sauce, fish sauce, dark soy, black pepper, Crushed chili flakes, and some mirin..

Then I started the clock -

I started some Udon noodles and got to chopping. Prep went quick, but it looked like the sweedish farkin chef had been there when I was done.. Shiitakes, asparagus, onion, garlic, chilis, bok choi, green onion.

Prep is done. Clock check..

Tick Tock

And.... there's a stoppage.. Wife is gone, I'm throwing food everywhere, almost forgetting my whiskey and coke (almost) and my daughter calls... she's home early from her trip to Champaign. (I had 2 swigs of whiskey coke, I'm still sober) so I drop everything and run over to pick her up. Whole trip took about 10 minutes tops... back to the action..

Got everything outside and then remembered the clock...

Ok, on to the wok...

Meat first -

Removed meat, then did asparagus for a minute, then added onion

After that, garlic and chilis, then shrooms and bok choi, then noodles, then some sauce, then green onions and out of the wok. This all happened in about 2 minutes. Sauce was a real savory sauce of Dark soy, oyster, fish sauce, rice vinegar, and a dash of sugar. Nice balance of savory, tart, sweet.. I dunno exactly, I just mix and taste till it feels right..

Boom! Outta the wok

Time!

Plated - Please use this for my entry

It was tasty! Thanks for lookin!

I know I was over by 5 minutes, but I'm hoping that my 10 minute time out for children taxi service is ok... If so, I made it in 25!

That looks amazing. What cooker did you cook for this, Mr "please don't ding me the 10 minute taxi ride"...

Just kidding and very well done sir. Im looking into my 30 minute meal bag of tricks for this one. Does marinating any meat factor into the 10 minutes? I would assume the prep for the marinade would.

Cool challenge.

That looks amazing. What cooker did you cook for this, Mr "please don't ding me the 10 minute taxi ride"...

Just kidding and very well done sir. Im looking into my 30 minute meal bag of tricks for this one. Does marinating any meat factor into the 10 minutes? I would assume the prep for the marinade would.

Cool challenge.

I used a wok on my outdoor wok/griddle station.
As the rules state, marinading does not count into your time. Neither does getting the grill started (like starting a chimney of coals before you start prep work) So, you can make a marinade, slice, and marinate your meat ahead of time, just start your timer when you begin the rest of your prep work and make something delicious before the 30 minutes are up :thumb:

My official Entry for the "30 Minute & Under Meal!" TD

Here's my 30 Minute Meal...

The entire cook thread is HERE.

5 minutes to get this roast rubbed down...

RRZ5Tcmh.jpg

I gave myself 3 minutes to tenderize it and flatten it into a shape more amenable to a fast cook...

DLpyObb.gif

Threw it right on the coals with veggies on my makeshift charcoal cooker...

mEvCdjjh.jpg

After 7 minutes on one side, time to flip...

9TAUquGh.jpg

Continued to cook it for another 6 minutes until my cooking vessel self-destructed...

XRyupPah.jpg

Used my remaining 5 minutes to arrange everything and mix in the board dressing...

8U6HRpoh.jpg

Please use the above pic as my official polling photo.

Thanks for checking everything out! :thumb:

My Entry Please.

Grilled Honey Mustard Pork Steak with grilled Corn on the Cob and grilled Zucchini.

The players;
DSC_0295_zps8om3rz9a.jpg

First, the marinade for the pork steak.
DSC_0297_zpsfq26e5ro.jpg

DSC_0298_zpsl5yeeui1.jpg

Marinade done and poured over the steak;
DSC_0299_zpsacokgnkf.jpg

DSC_0301_zpsl5aqgliz.jpg

Prep the corn with a little honey and salt;
DSC_0302_zpsytu234oy.jpg

DSC_0303_zpslyquxrht.jpg

DSC_0304_zpsopwmgzq6.jpg

Prep the zucchini with garlic, salt and olive oil;
DSC_0306_zpslqfe6iwk.jpg

DSC_0307_zpsucqhy1vq.jpg

DSC_0308_zpss7rsiqcz.jpg

DSC_0309_zpsq3tbvm7k.jpg

So there is 6 minutes of prep time.
I let the pork steak marinate for about 2 hours, prepped the grill and fired up the goods;
DSC_0310_zpspeum0gfg.jpg

Nearly forgot, made up a finishing glaze, so add another 2 minutes prep time. So I think that leaves me 22 minutes to finish.
DSC_0312_zpsgulq8uns.jpg

Everything on the grill;
DSC_0313_zpsvr8xjcio.jpg

DSC_0315_zpsuuktuiht.jpg

DSC_0316_zpsxmnokk3w.jpg

DSC_0320_zpskxvcyv0j.jpg

DSC_0322_zpsavzns4lk.jpg

Please use the following as my entry shot;
95f338a4-4f83-4de0-9a4c-e5f33c151a95_zpsngiqfjg4.jpg

Finishing time;
DSC_0323_zpsrr3djr7y.jpg

I think I had a minute or two to spare :loco:.
It was delicious, thanks for looking all.

KC

Carne Asada Tacos in under 30 minutes

This is my entry into the 30 Minute & Under Meal” Throwdown.

My wife often complains that I take too long to cook the meals I make so this “30 Minute & Under Meal” Throwdown was just what the wife ordered. I must say that when you’re on the clock you really have to think things out a whole lot more. I know that preparing the grill was not included in the 30 minutes, but what’s the fastest way to get a load of charcoal going? Chimney on the side burner of course. I left it on here for around 5 minutes.

I then moved it over to my Weber OTS and it was ready 5 minutes later.

I then went into the house where I had all my ingredients set out already. I love this pre-marinated skirt steak they sell at Costco. Also shown are a batch of Pico de Gallo I had made up on Wednesday, Costco Mexican cheese, corn tortillas from the local tortillaria, some Jocoque cream and some Tapatio hot sauce. Also had the stopwatch feature set on our ipod.

Wasted 6 seconds just to get a pic of the stopwatch going.

Cut the meat out of the packaging and placed it on the grill. This took 3 minutes. :twitch:

I then started warming up the tortillas. Meat flipped at 7 minutes. After another 7 minutes it was done.

Cut it up into Taco sized pieces.

And made up 3 tacos and plated them with a nice cerveza.

Please use the pictuire below as my polling photo.

And we’re ready to eat!

One of my favorite meals in fewer than 30 minutes.

Thanks for looking.

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3552083#post3552083

Back