Metal Pans

defence18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm seeing a lot of cooks on tv put meat in their smokers in metal pans or on metal sheets. Now I can totally understand a couple hours into your cook when the meat has taken on some smoke and you're tossing tons of ingredients in to keep it moist. That makes sense. But I'm seeing meat, like chicken and ribs, in solid metal containers from the start. I've gotta believe that this inhibits the smoke it takes on. Thoughts?

Yair . . . dunno, works for me.

I use a rack so smoke can circulate all around. We are not into a lot of smoke and I certainly don't want fat dripping on the coals.

Cheers.

Yair . . . dunno, works for me.

I use a rack so smoke can circulate all around. We are not into a lot of smoke and I certainly don't want fat dripping on the coals.

Cheers.

Depending on what I am cooking, I LOVE fat dripping on the coals... That's an additional aromatic...

I use a ceramic with heat deflector plates so fat dripping on coals doesn't happen. But seeing it work for Myron and tired of cleanup convinced me to use a pan. I also elevate the meat so smoke can circulate all around. Works for me. I am building a UDS and will eventually compare with to without - till then I'm a panner.

It doesn't inhibit the smoke unless and until you foil the top and seal it off.

Foil Pans

I use aluminum foil pans instead of metal. Just throw them away when you're through - no cleanup. Also makes cleanup of your cooker easier and also good for transporting your food.
You can buy full sized foil steam table pans at Costco & Sam's Club and you can buy half sized foil steam table pans at Sam's Club. Sam's Club also has aluminum foil pan covers for both the half and full sized foil pans. I took Myron Mixon's cooking class and he likes to put some apple juice under the rack, cover the foil pan with aluminum foil, and steam his ribs and chicken the last hour or hour and a half after they have enough smoke. The foil pan covers make it even easier.
You can order wire racks for both the half size and full size foil pans at either Allied Kenco or Ace Mart (or a kitchen supply warehouse). Just search for "wire rack".

Just did chicken in a half size pan yesterday and the smoke flavor was not inhibited at all.

At first you would think cooking in a pan (or in a pan with a rack) would restrict some smoke, but it really does not. In fact I've gone so far as finishing off chuck roasts mostly wrapped in foil, but the top open. They will continue to take smoke.

Back