Practicing competition chicken

2PigsBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well who doesn't love scraping off fat under the skin on chicken thighs?... I could still use some more practice but the chicken is getting better. I only bought 1 package of thighs so I just picked the closest 6 in size and threw them in the box. They were probably little to spicy for a competition but for home eating not bad at all.

Attachments

• 20170822_210240.jpg
    20170822_210240.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 20170822_205630.jpg
    20170822_205630.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 402
Looks great. Good bite thru skin and nice color. I push my chicken pieces closer together in the box so it's harder to tell when they are different sizes. The judges only get a few seconds to look at it.

Thanks Toymaster. Also thanks for the tip I'll absolutely do that going forward.

There is nothing in the KCBS rules that says the individual sizes of entries have to be the same, but I guarantee you that you'll get dinged a point on appearance if the box is not reasonably symmetrical. Too many people have watched BBQ Pitmasters, where they talk up symmetry. Pitmasters is not comp BBQ per se.

Thanks guys, I'll keep working on presentation and next time cook a few more thighs to have more options to put in the box plus more to eat. Haha

Man, I have a comp this weekend (backyard) and I would recruit you to do chicken. They look mah-velous.

Chicken looks good great color. Cut back on the lawn.

You've got Italian parsley there, what you want is the curly variety. It makes a much tighter, neater box.

You've got Italian parsley there, what you want is the curly variety. It makes a much tighter, neater box.

Only if you hate having extra time. If you love having extra time kale is the way to go, 100% convert here.

Yea I accidentally grabbed the Italian by mistake. Hopefully that doesn't happen on game day. Haha.

I'll give kale a try. Can't hurt to practice something different.

Thanks guys.

Only if you hate having extra time. If you love having extra time kale is the way to go, 100% convert here.

We make our parsley boxes at home and flip them at the comp. Gives me more drinking time that way.:p

Good color on your chicken, I do like just a little bit of heat in mine!

Back