• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first cook on new pellet grill

I made something for $0.97 that works better than a pellet tube I just feel I shouldn't have to use that for a smoker. when there are other options to get better smoke flavor in less of a thing to deal with

Last edited:
I noticed a huge difference on each side I was burning about 60+ degrees hotter from the right side is GMG is going to send me a new heat diffuser. I have it slid over as much as the.notches will allow
LOL mine was burning hot on the right side I slid my diffuser all the way to the right now it's pretty even I don't mind having one side a little different than the other gives you an advantage if you are aware of it,
Good luck their customer service is fantastic

LOL mine was burning hot on the right side I slid my diffuser all the way to the right now it's pretty even I don't mind having one side a little different than the other gives you an advantage if you are aware of it,
Good luck their customer service is fantastic

Their customer service is top notch sending me a new diffuser and a new computer just in case.

I don't mind a little hotter Bus 70 degrees is a big difference. I guess they have a new design that will help even the heat out

I seem to get a lot of smoke out of my grill.
https://youtu.be/agTDqrI7qYI

mine was smoking like a train I still did not get strong smoke flavor. I am thinking that the fans just put the Smoke by too fast and don't let them hit the good as much? How is it that in a little smoke tube is more flavor in the pellets pot?

if I do decide to keep this unit I think I am going to do some fabrication and make it a reverse flow pellet smoker. now that will be badass

You have your heat plates slid to the left in the closed position, and that Grill does not like aluminum foil on the heat gratespecially, I get a real good smoke ring out of mine , also if you want a stronger flavor go with Mesquite or hickory, I've been using some Oak, pecan, alder,apple, nothing really that strong. Try some different pellets ?

You are supposed to cook with the flu wide open on the chimney but I wonder what would happen if you closed it halfway ? to slow down the exhaust. Like a Woodburner?

Irishboy, the smoking tube adds more smoke because IT IS SMOLDERING! That's it. That's all it needs to do. Smoldering pellets, any pellets, will produce more, MUCH MORE, smoke than a fire pot will. The fire pots, by design and pure mechanical function, burn so cleanly that the smoke effect is greatly reduced. Period. No matter how much or how little one spends on the pellet cooker, they are not really as much of a "smoker" as some would hope. This is why there are so many "aids" available for them, all with the intent and purpose of increasing the smoke flavor.

If you enjoy the ease and convenience of using a pellet cooker but feel it lacks the smoke flavor you want, just get a tube and start smoldering away, right in the cook chamber next to the meat(s). It is cheap, it is simple, it is easy. Unfortunately, after having purchased the cooker, it is also, for some, required. Most folks just accept that and go on down the road, enjoying the usefulness of the pellet cooker with this rather simple "modification."

Good luck on your cooking!

I did foril my grease pan, not sure if that would cause uneven Heat? I know a lot of people do it so I figured I would for easy cleanup the smokestack is wide open

I'm about to pick up a bag of 100% hickory wood using Lumberjack because I heard they are one of the best

I know I can buy a smoke tube and I also have one that I made for a different smoker before I'm just trying to get some flavor without messing with that I've actually been doing research and some pretty interesting stuff about the taste of smoke flavor I get from my traditional smokers and how it's really not that good for you and you just really taking all the bad stuff because you're over smoking. I bet I just have to wean myself off of that taste and this smoke flavor from the pellet grill will become better to my taste buds, if you look at a lot of professionals they always talk about smoke just being like an ingredient I'm used to smoke being overpowering and the main show, and that's probably from having either an electric smoker just smoldering and not producing a clean smoke.

I did foril my grease pan, not sure if that would cause uneven Heat? I know a lot of people do it so I figured I would for easy cleanup the smokestack is wide open

I'm about to pick up a bag of 100% hickory wood using Lumberjack because I heard they are one of the best

I know I can buy a smoke tube and I also have one that I made for a different smoker before I'm just trying to get some flavor without messing with that I've actually been doing research and some pretty interesting stuff about the taste of smoke flavor I get from my traditional smokers and how it's really not that good for you and you just really taking all the bad stuff because you're over smoking. I bet I just have to wean myself off of that taste and this smoke flavor from the pellet grill will become better to my taste buds, if you look at a lot of professionals they always talk about smoke just being like an ingredient I'm used to smoke being overpowering and the main show, and that's probably from having either an electric smoker just smoldering and not producing a clean smoke.

I've been eating off of a pellet smoker for the last year and a half and my neighbor brought over some ribs off his masterbuilt. I felt like his ribs were way too smokey and I use an amazen smoker on my pellet grill for ribs. I live in KC and eat gates and Joes KC quite a bit and really like that smoke flavor so I feel like I have a decent idea of how much smoke it too much on the meat.

I respectfully disagree, I have ate a lot of Smoke BBQ pellet grills that my friends have had, grills that cost $1,000 or under, you can get a huge smoke ring and Too SmoKY, that's why a lot of my friends went to Apple cherry pecan of course mixed with a hard wood usually always a blend, to keep from having too strong of a smoke flavor. If I wanted to use a Smoking Tube I would have just kept my BBQ Grill.

Congrats on the new smoker... nice job on the cook.

I agree I think that these pits run so good that I'm actually used to bad smoke. Now that I think about it I've actually eaten some pretty good BBQ places that are using pure Hardwood and had things dialed in very good and it wasn't a huge smoke flavor. I've actually been talking to some competitors in BBQ and they all say the same thing the meat should not be overpowered by smoke it should just compliment it.

I know everyone says to buy a smoke tube but I disagree I refuse to I spent good money on my grill and if it can't produce good smoke flavor to me I rather get rid of it and use one of my other smokers or save money and buy a BBQ Guru for my Weber smoker and it will manage all my temps and internal temperature.

after doing a lot of research I'm pretty convinced that found the proper way to add more smoke with these.

smoke at 150 degrees for 2 hours then Cook at whatever temperature you prefer, once you're close to your internal temperature let the unit go down in temperature to around 1:50 again and it will give you more smoke flavor also adding a water pan helps a lot with smoke.

this is if you wanted to get maximum smoke flavor out of your unit.

I've been talking to a few people that have played some pretty high scores in BBQ competitions and they all told me the same thing everyone over smoke their meat 225 250 and keep their meats on a upper rack with water pan and the judges go crazy over it

On the Davy Crockett you have a sliding exhaust rain cap seems it would do the same thing choke down the exhaust of the Smoke, just not sure if it's recommend

I was messing with that or just force the air out through the hood but I wasn't sure what it was doing to the temperature so I stopped

Back