How do you test different flavor profiles?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Am looking to try a few brisket flavor profiles this weekend but don't want to have to buy a half dozen briskets to do so. If you're looking to try different rub combos and injections, do you use a cheaper cut of beef or how do you do that?

Looking to get a couple of comps in this summer - did fine in my first and only comp last August using techniques learned in a class but I want to develop my own profile.

the only way to truly test it is by using that specific cut. other cuts have different flavors and texture. If you took a class then you have been introduced to flavor profiles that score well in that class. my recommendation would be to stick with rubs/injections/sauces used at the class, especially if you are new to competition BBQ.

I haven't done it, but I don't know why you couldn't cut the brisket up into thirds lengthwise? Might affect cooking time, but otherwise should be fine.

I haven't done it, but I don't know why you couldn't cut the brisket up into thirds lengthwise? Might affect cooking time, but otherwise should be fine.

I have done this before.

As long as you are focused on taste and ignore tenderness, dividing a brisket is fine. On the up side, the cook time is much faster, which is a plus for testing.

Simple truth is for brisket I bought a bunch of small brisket flats at Walmart, then when I was a lot closer to what I liked i went to full cheap packers. Once I thought I was right then I went with what I normally cook(wagyu). This past weekend I did a double header contest and since I was close on many things but not everything(brisket wrap) I did one one day and another the second day. I know it was an expensive experiment but at least I got important judge feedback.

Must tell on myself here....

Usually when I've tried this kind of thing in the past, I start like "OK the one with this rub/injection is on the left side of the grill, and this other combination is on the right"

Then, somewhere in the process of moving stuff around, checking temps, wrapping, having a few beers, etc, I get to the end, everything looks the same, and have no idea which is which!

it sounds odd but when i want an idea what a new rub tastes like i sprinkle it on hot popcorn. it gives me an idea what im working with and how i want to use it, but i dont think it would work for an injectable or mop. :p

My grocery store (Smith's which is a Kroger) sells small pieces of brisket flats. I buy a bunch of them just for flavor testing. they cost $6-12 a piece. Works for me....

I have put rubs on a saltine cracker with a slice of cheese on it. Nuke it for enough time to make the cheese bubble. Not long.

The heat affects the rub enough to to give you a taste profile.

Last edited:
Must tell on myself here....

Usually when I've tried this kind of thing in the past, I start like "OK the one with this rub/injection is on the left side of the grill, and this other combination is on the right"

Then, somewhere in the process of moving stuff around, checking temps, wrapping, having a few beers, etc, I get to the end, everything looks the same, and have no idea which is which!

Yep thats me right there. :clap2:

I'd try a chuck roast. It's from the same region of the steer.

Thanks I like the brisket flat cut up idea. Will give it a try next weekend!

I shove toothpicks in my test cuts.

1 toothpick in flavor profile #1, 2 toothpicks in flavor profile #2, etc.

I also put them in "with" the grain.

I'm able to both keep the cuts straight on what's what, as well as have a visual indicator on what way the grain is going as it barks up and changes shape a bit so I know how to slice.

Good luck!

You can also keep track of them by cooking in a foil pan.

Bend the upper left corner down, and put your seasoned strips in. make notes as you go starting from the bent corner. Then when cooking is complete, you have a map of which is which.

If you prefer technology to old school you can also take a picture with your phone.

Back