• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vacuum Sealers

EverettBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to start triming my ribs, pork butt and brisket Thursday night before the compition. I know I can use freezer bags, but I would like to use a vacuum sealer.

How many of you trim your meat Thursday night and do you use a vacuum sealer?

If you use a vacuum sealer, what brand would you recommend?

I try to trim all I can before leaving town for the competition. Usually if we have anything to trim on site it is only pork. It makes it a lot easier to do all you can at home before leaving.

I vac-seal using a Weston Pro 1100 Sealer after going through Food Savers.

Pretty much everything MarleyMan said we do, except that my foodsaver refuses to die. Once it does, I will be buying a Weston Pro 1100 ;)

Weston 2300. 15" bags. Briskets trimmed on Wednesday look like I just took a knife to them on Friday.

a side effect of vac sealing is having a sturdy bag. No leaking in your cooler or vise versa.

Weston 2300, I trim Wednesday due to the garbage man coming bright and early Thursday morning!

i use a Weston 2300 with 15" wide roll of bags. Chicken trim Tuesday and Brisket and Ribs Wednesday. Load and go Thursday afternoon. I trim BUtts on site Friday afternoon. No problems to this day with freshness.

1. Sealing bar is a good 2x as thick
2. Much more vacuum (that is documented)
3. Durability
4. User serviceable parts if needed
5. Cooling fan
6. Clear lid allows you to see the bag better
7. 15" is very rare
8. Metal body/frame

They are pretty impressive

Will the sous vide rolls that usually are on sale at Amazon work with the Weston 2300? Currently we use those for our food saver.

any of the perforated bags will work with the Weston. The Weston 3000 allows for sealing bar time adjustments for using thick or thin bags.

I love using 4mil bags.

Chicken gets trimmed and frozen on Monday, and I just use a gallon zip lock bag. The rest gets trimmed on Thursday, and I just use 2 gallon bags for the butts and ribs. I have 2.5 gallon bags for the briskets.

I don't see the value in vac sealing something that is only going to be in that bag for 1-2 days.

To deal with the meat trim/garbage issue, I put the meat trim in plastic grocery sacks, and freeze it, then put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and take it to the comp with me to trash. Otherwise I take it out of the freezer, and put it in my regular garbage the night before garbage pick up.

Some benefits:

1. Fresher product due to less air exposure.
2. My brisket does not turn too dark. Less discoloration vacuumed.
3. Less chance of juices leaking on the ice and in the cooler. Two different meats leaking leads to cross-contamination.
4. I can pre-do up to a season's worth of chicken if need be and not miss a beat.
5. Meat fits better in the cooler due to the vacuuming.

Weston also has a higher duty cycle than something like a Food Saver. I don't vend much but when I do the Weston can handle vac sealing 75 fatties.

Back