Cutco Knives -- anybody familiar?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
http://www.cutco.com/home.jsp

Website above.
My Dad just called and said that he wanted to get me a knife of my choice for my birthday, but he didn't know what I'd want. Apparently he talked to someone at a store who said that Cutco was a top of the line brand. They have a store here in the Indianapolis area, but up on the north side and so Dad told me to pick out a knife and he'd get one for me.

Looking at their selection, looks like some nice stuff.

Right now my go to knife is my 7" chef's knife.
Never used a Santoku before. Seems like the straight cutting edge wouldn't let me "rock" the knife like I do with my chef's knife.

Just curious if anyone's heard of Cutco?

I used to sell Cutco knives about 25 years ago. I've never used other "good" knives, so I can't give you a great comparison. I'm actually on the market for a new knife or two as well. Their serated edge knives are amazing and all of their knives have a lifetime, no questions asked guarantee. Aesthetically, many are put off by the plastic handles, but they're tough. I would get some again, but I can't say there aren't better knives out there.

One of their serrated knives has been my wife's favorite for many years. It's good enough that I picked up another like it on eBay, just in case. They're good knives, at least the serrated model we've used - can't speak for the others. The company's sales model for years seemed to be similar to that of Tupperware, Amway, etc. - we bought ours from a neighbor's daughter. But you can order direct, and you can also find a bunch of them on eBay and probably other auction sites.

I'm not throwing away any Wusthof knives, but for the every-day, do-everything knife that's always out on the counter, Cutco's just fine.

Many like them, but I think they are overpriced for stamped steel knives. If I was spending that kind of $$$ I would want something forged. They do have a good warranty though, I just think you can get more for your $$$ by going with forged Wusthof / Henckels or Japanese Knives personally Kempis. I use my Santoku ALOT, mine has a curved edge though for "rocking". Very versatile knife.

Here is what I am using - Tojiro DP. Japanese, has traits of a western knife but Japanese Steel.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpsakn17.html

My wife bought a set a few years ago. I was against the idea, because I wanted a "big name" knife. But truthfully, I have found them to be excellent knives. We use them all the time and they stay sharp and work great!

I bought the Serrated Carving knife a few years back.

I use it a lot, no complaints.

I've had cutco knives in my house for years and I have nothing but good things to say. I use the 7" kitchen knife for just about everything, but like a few already said, their serrated knives are killer.

I used to sell them in college. Ended up with a full set at a discount. They're over priced, but actually pretty darn good knives. I reach for my cutco chef knife more often than my shun because it always seems to be sharper (holds its edge longer). The shun is a thinner blade though which comes in handy sometimes.

My buddy's daughter had just started working for Cutco and of course he talked us into letting her come over and practice her sales pitch. "honest bro, you don't need to buy anything, she just needs the practice...seriously".
Well, by the time she left of course we had signed up for a $600+ dollar butcher block set :doh:. It is a 16 piece set I think with the steak knives, kitchen shears, etc. A bit over priced I'd say but we have had the set for 12 years now and I gotta say they are quality, durable knives. I try not to put them in the dishwasher, but they end up in there every so often especially the steak knives. Those handles are fairly indestructible and look like new still. I'm no expert but I give them a thumbs up :thumb:.

Don't have experience with Cutco but hear nothing but great things and reviews about them. My cousin used to sell them when he was in college.

Many like them, but I think they are overpriced for stamped steel knives. If I was spending that kind of $$$ I would want something forged. They do have a good warranty though, I just think you can get more for your $$$ by going with forged Wusthof / Henckels or Japanese Knives personally Kempis. I use my Santoku ALOT, mine has a curved edge though for "rocking". Very versatile knife.

Here is what I am using - Tojiro DP. Japanese, has traits of a western knife but Japanese Steel.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpsakn17.html

+1 I have to agree, good knives but way over priced. Not sure why but for me the handles are the least user friendly for me personally. My $600.00 set has been in a drawer for 7 years.

Not a fan of Cutco knives. Over-priced and under-crafted IMHO.

Like others have said, you can get MUCH better quality knives out there for the cost of Cutco knife.

The big question is, "What are you going to use the knife for?"

Yeah, yeah... I know.."Cutting stuff..."

But what uses will you be putting the knife to? Slicing huge briskets or art-carving radishes for a veggie garnish? Deconstructing/butchering game or fileting perch?

Different tools for different tasks. And each type of knife will have a different "best" maker.

They're ok.. You can do a lot better, but it just depends on what you want, and what you want to spend. For the money, you could do a lot better than cutco. I had a cutco, moved on to Wustoff, and ended up with japanese steel. IMO there's nothing better. Very light, extra sharp, nice balance. Best bargain in that arena is probably a fujiwara. Their Gyutos (Chef knives) are very reasonably priced and are really great. They have a 7in(180mm) for 70 bucks. I gave the 210mm as Christmas gifts to my brother and sister this year. They were both German knife users and both were immediately blown away with this knife.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html#FKM

I should mention - These knives are razor sharp, and they hold their edge for a long time. The trade off is, they are more fragile. They should be treated gently, or you can chip the blade if you do things like leave it in the sink with other silverware, throw it in the dishwasher, or cut through bones with it.

Not a fan of Cutco knives. Over-priced and under-crafted IMHO.

Like others have said, you can get MUCH better quality knives out there for the cost of Cutco knife.

The big question is, "What are you going to use the knife for?"

Yeah, yeah... I know.."Cutting stuff..."

But what uses will you be putting the knife to? Slicing huge briskets or art-carving radishes for a veggie garnish? Deconstructing/butchering game or fileting perch?

Different tools for different tasks. And each type of knife will have a different "best" maker.

Well right now I have a few "go to" knives.

1. Boning knives (I have 2). These I use to prep meat. I trim a good amount of briskets with them. I also use them to trim spare ribs and cut ribs after cooking. I use them for butterflying chops, whole loins and trimming other misc meat stuff. I also carve turkeys and chickens with my boning knives. I like em sharp, but mine don't seem to hold an edge as long any more. They're pretty cheap Sam's Club "Chef's Select" knives, but I'm able to put a pretty good edge on them.
2. Chef's knife. I use this bad boy the most often. I chop vegetables probably 4 times/week on average. Mincing, chopping, dicing, slicing, whatever. I cook with a lot of fresh veggies and once in a while do some baking with fresh fruit as well, mostly seasonal as far as fruit goes. I make a good amount of soups and chili in these winter months so I've pulled out the chef's knife probably every night this week so far.
3. 11" Scalloped Slicer. I slice brisket with it a good amount. Also any other boneless meat (loin, ham, etc). I also use it once in a while for fresh baked bread.

I'm not sure even which knife I'd like to replace or get another of.
I love my chef's knife. My boning knives aren't the best, but I like mine. The slicer is good....not looking to replace it.

As I said, I don't have a Santoku. Always wanted to try one, but I'd hate to spend $123 on one just to find out I don't like using it as much as my chef's knife.

SO apparently, you can get a better knife for the money.

AND.....what alternatives should I be looking at y'all?

Overpriced imo. I would rather go with a victorinox fibrox 8" chef knife. best knife for the money. Its around $50 bucks new (i got a used one for $16 and resharpened it). Cuts like a much more expensive knife and holds its edge very well. This video helped make the leap a purchase this knife, I have no regrets (I was originally going to purchase a wusthof classic).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I_OOPpqqc"]How to Choose a Hybrid Chef's Knife - YouTube[/ame]

I used to use my Chef's Knife all the time until I got my Santoku knife, it is a versatile shape IMHO. I would venture to say you will use it a lot as well since your Chef's knife is your "go to".

Personally, I would look at Japanese Knives...the ones ShagDog posted are nice. As are the Tojiro DP series I posted above. I ended up buying a small set of the Tojiro DP knives and have been very pleased. I now own the Chef's, Santoku, Bread, Paring, Utility and curved Boning Knife (another one of my favorites in the set for trimming BBQ meats). If you chop a lot of veggies you will love the Japanese knives and the more acute angles.

Warning: Knife snob ahead! I'm not Buccaneer, but, almost as bad

I have used Cutco Knives, and there are a few points made above that are certainly true. An outstanding warranty, and tough handles, I mean, the handles will not wear. They do hold an edge, for a very long time and can be abused quite a lot, there are reasons for that. To the issue of cost, I am not a fan, $100 a knife is a lot to spend and for something that, at least for me, doesn't feel good to use, it is hard for me to recommend them.

The blades harken back to an American blade philosophy originally pioneered by Buck Knives, of hardening a steel blade to levels that were unheard of in carbon steel. The steel is so hard, that it simply does not wear down as most other steels will. However, the trade-off is it will not hold an acute angle, thus the blades are ground to a 23° to 25° angle, think hunting knife, not kitchen knife here. It will feel sharp, but, never perform as well as a steel blade that is more supple and holds a finer edge.

That handle, it comes slick, plastic and shiny, and it will stay that way. Great for selling, bad with wet hands or with blood or oil coating them. I found these knives were perfect for the perfect cook, for a production cook like me, the thin handles, slick surface and odd contours caused them to never feel secure when I was cutting. I prefer wood handles for kitchen work. Failing that, the highly textures plastic on Victorinox or Sani-Safe knives are also nice, especially when working with fish.

Specifially to the Santoku you refer to, the shape that Cutco has chosen for the Santoku is a European version of the Japanese Santoku shape, and it is a flawed design. The flatness of the overall edge will make the knife awkward for using in all but the most careful of vegetable cutting tasks. A good design for a Santoku rolls the first 20% of front edge up about 15° in a smooth radius. This allows for the knife to exhibit the hyrbid traits of a Chef Gyuto (Western style chef's knife) and a Nakiri (Japanese vegetable knife). In time, I believe you would find that the Cutco Santoku is not a comfortable or fast knife for most cutting tasks.

I would venture to say almost all of us that own Cutco knives bought them because they were "sold" to us by the neighbors kid trying to get through college (in my case) or a niece or nephew family member ect. We mainly were trying to help someone out.

If I had my wish...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kramer-Chefs-Knife-Blade-Length/dp/B005KJC7E8"]Amazon.com: Bob Kramer Chef's Knife Blade Length: 8": Chefs Knives: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21niRwfNgUL.@@AMEPARAM@@21niRwfNgUL[/ame]

Back