Battle Box vs WSM

I have all the sizes of wsm, a backwoods party and a few kettles. I like messing with all of them some of the worst snow storms I cooked on my wsm, some on my backwoods. It's fun to rotate.

Kevin is a great help. He answered all my questions I had before I made my order. I went with the pint, hopefully I will have it in a couple of weeks.

I have two 18.5 WSM and bought a Battle Box through Kevin (smokinit). In addition to the added cooking space, everything is just easier. Easier to cook multiple briskets, ribs etc. No more having to remove one rack to get at the bottom rack, no more having to add more water during a cook hoping it doesn't splash over on the coals, no more having to prop up a full packer with a soda or beer can until it shrinks. I wish I had made this move sooner.

I still have the WSMs. My wife, who had never used them before, now uses them to make wings and appetizers.

Go with the battle box especially if you plan on doing packer briskets. My battle box arrived last week. I got it to be my main brisket cooker for competitions. However it looks like it will be my all purpose smoker as well. Very efficient.

Now i want a Battle Box!

But it seems like the comparison is a little unfair, like comparing a Ford Taurus to an upper end BMW. A 22.5 wsm costs $400, and the Battle Box costs $1600, so i'm hoping it would prove superior in all head-to-head comparisons.

I have 2 WSM 22.5's, a new 22" pipe Offset, and a Commercial Dryer we converted to a smoker. And I'm currently dreaming about building an insulated Brick Vertical Smoker...#DreamBig

I'm in the same quest as the op , I'm looking at adding a Pint to my arsenal , it's hard spending that much money on a smoker , I've spent less than $700.00 for all the cookers I currently have now

You can't beat the fuel efficiency of the Battle Box or The Down East Beast that I have.... I can cook 90 pounds of pork shoulder/butt to perfection in 14 hours with only 8 pounds of lump charcoal. That's .08 pounds of charcoal per pound of meat, or just a little over a half a pound per hour when calculated in time..

I have the Humphrey's Down East Beast, after I cooked with it a few times I gave my other smokers away that I had collected over the years but had still used them from time to time. I did however keep a Weber Kettle for charcoal grilling.

At first I thought the price was a little high, but when I used it I realized you get what you pay for.

I can cook a singe pork butt or a couple slabs of ribs with no effort, and there is no additional effort to completely fill the smoker for larger cooks. I love the adjustable shelving and the cookers ability to maintain an even cooking temperature throughout the entire cook.

It also makes an awesome cold smoker with the use of an A-Maze-N pellet maze.

To each his own, but I think the BB is the more all around unit of the two. Some long packers exceed the length of the half pint. It's a fine smoker for sure but a tad small. The BB just fits the bill perfect for what you are wanting to accomplish.

I agree 100%

I'm in the same quest as the op , I'm looking at adding a Pint to my arsenal , it's hard spending that much money on a smoker , I've spent less than $700.00 for all the cookers I currently have now

It does get expensive but that is the normal progression in our hobby. Wait until you see how much your next one is going to cost. :becky:

It does get expensive but that is the normal progression in our hobby. Wait until you see how much your next one is going to cost. :becky:

I'm hoping my next purchase will be the one to do all I need to do

I'm hoping my next purchase will be the one to do all I need to do

Me too. That's why I went with the SF. It should be able to replace all my cookers. The LSG vertical offset would work too if you have space constraints. The warming cabinets in those 2 are great. Probably will keep my cabinet, otg and the Jimmy. Good luck with your decision. I know how tough they can be.

Back