New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

I have only seen pix and there is not much user info out there on the All Star, I was sold on the O/U and it is about 1/4 the cost of the All Star until I noticed this design change.

I had to go to Waco yesterday and I had some time to kill between appointments so I was on a cheap ammo hunt Academy, Cabellas, & Gander Mountain, When I was in Academy I went to drool on an O/U and I noticed something.... a design change:shocked:! Gone is the ability to regulate the heat from the FB with an adj baffle , there is a fixed baffle welded in on the inside, IMO this will be a major draw back. While It may be cheaper to manufacture It seriously limits the pits abilities. This was a big selling point to me. I guess I'll have to take a looks see at the ABS All Star

?????? :confused:There never was an adjustable baffle between FB and Cook chamber that I ever saw (look on page 1 of this thread) Just adjustable slide intakes.

This plate/baffle has always been welded in place.

Last edited:
Right before Christmas I was at the Acadmey in Killeen they had 3 sitting out front that called to me from the truck all three had an ADJ damper the 2 I saw in Waco last week didn't BTHFSOOM

Thinking about ordering one of these without seeing it in person since Academy doesn't have stores in the northeast. I had a couple of mods in mind. I thought maybe a fixed second shelf could be installed full length, about 12" wide and about 5-6" above the main shelf, or maybe a rotisserie (or both). I would definitely upgrade the coal basket to 3/4" expanded metal and attempt snake/minion method with lump. I saw some saying you can't use charcoal in a stick burner, but this is actually a charcoal model that people have been using wood with (or so the Academy listing says). So I think you could probably get a pretty long burn with the right setup. I thought I saw a post somewhere saying the stock coal pan is 11x28", can anyone confirm this? I would still be fine running it on mini logs/splits and keep it tended if I needed to. Anybody loaded one of these up yet?

Thinking about ordering one of these without seeing it in person since Academy doesn't have stores in the northeast. I had a couple of mods in mind. I thought maybe a fixed second shelf could be installed full length, about 12" wide and about 5-6" above the main shelf, or maybe a rotisserie (or both). I would definitely upgrade the coal basket to 3/4" expanded metal and attempt snake/minion method with lump. I saw some saying you can't use charcoal in a stick burner, but this is actually a charcoal model that people have been using wood with (or so the Academy listing says). So I think you could probably get a pretty long burn with the right setup. I thought I saw a post somewhere saying the stock coal pan is 11x28", can anyone confirm this? I would still be fine running it on mini logs/splits and keep it tended if I needed to. Anybody loaded one of these up yet?

Old Country does not have very good Qaulity control if any -so some are sloppy and some are decent - as long as you can deal with/ fix sloppy/sprung doors. I haven't seen any Old Country's I couldn't fix or work with but some are pretty sloppy.

I don't think they would run well on Charcoal but I don't have one. Academy doesn't know the difference between a charcoal cooker and a stick burner - they are Idiots ( and I like the Store). :mrgreen:

If one of yall are able to run one on charcoal please post your results here.

If some of yall would chip in and buy me one I'd be happy to do a whole video series on it .... :heh:

Anybody else get one?

I keep waiting to see if they go on sale, to pay for the freight cost. But if not, I am planning to go down to Jacksonville, FL in May and I will strap one on my pickup. They seem to be the best idea for a "real" smoker but not too expensive.

After reading the reviews I have decided against it seems to be a fuel hog and it likes to run at 225 for me that is no Bueno

Back