Hanger Steak vs. Flatiron Steak

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've tried neither of these cuts, and curious what those who have think how they compare to each other in flavor and texture....

I just had flat iron steaks at a buddies house Sunday night. Surprisingly tender cooked rare with a nice rich flavor. Even the connective tissue down the middle did not make it tough. I believe they are also cheap to boot.

Never had hanger steak.

I also have never had hanger, but flat iron if cooked properly is hard to beat and is a lesser expensive alternative to the more pricey cuts. Excellent beef flavor. Redhot and I do these as often as rib eye.

Flat Iron, in my mind has a almost just-like tenderloin texture and a better flavor, if it is cut like a flat-iron shape, it has a bothersome gristle in the middle. Cut like they do in Europe (what Phubar calls a Jewish filet) they are very tender and grill up great.

Hanger Steak is a great cut and works outstanding either marinated or rubbed and grilled to a rare/medium rare level. Sliced across the grain, makes for a great taco, sandwich or even just eating plain. i like to serve it with a mustard/horseradish sauce and some baguette slices.

Landarc, any suggestions for dealing with the "bothersome gristle"?

Flat Iron, in my mind has a almost just-like tenderloin texture and a better flavor, if it is cut like a flat-iron shape, it has a bothersome gristle in the middle. Cut like they do in Europe (what Phubar calls a Jewish filet) they are very tender and grill up great.

Hanger Steak is a great cut and works outstanding either marinated or rubbed and grilled to a rare/medium rare level. Sliced across the grain, makes for a great taco, sandwich or even just eating plain. i like to serve it with a mustard/horseradish sauce and some baguette slices.

I've never encountered the gristle in a Flat Iron...

You may be getting the properly cut flat iron Guerry. Here is an image...
IMG_1494.jpg

If you look at that image, there is a line of connective tissue down the middle. This is the traidtional US method of chopping a flat iron and why it is called a flat iron steak. It sort of looks like a flat iron in planform. However, the muscle on top and bottom can be cut as a filet and then sectioned into steak and avoid the tissue vein. Or you can just eat around it.

One of the muscles, the tastier and more tender one is called the Teres minor, the other part is the less tender but still tasty something or other that I cannot remember the name of (hope that was helpful :tsk:). The Teres minor is often called poor man's filet.

Been getting Hangers at RD for about $3.20/lb. They come in about 5 lb cryos-4-5 in each. Slice each one into 3 thinner pieces and grill to med-rare. Sometimes marinade w/teriyaki, or just plain. Place by me had Hanger Steak night every Thur. Steak, potato, veggies for under $9. Been going there the past 8 weeks.

:thumb:

Haven't tried hangar steak but flat iron steak is delicious.

picture.php

My butcher told me they are a part of the chuck that is cut off.I buy whenever I can find them!I first encountered flat-iron at T.G,I, Fridays. A great steak.!:clap2:

Had flat iron steak a few weeks ago for the first time. Loved it! As some have said it is cheaper and it did marinate very well. A very tender cut.

Up in northern mass. you will find what they call a flat iron steak most likely as a blade chop or top blade chop. The shape and the gristle line are the direct giveaway. Can usually get them for $2.29-2.99 lb.

I use flat iron steak for kebobs. Cut down the gristle line to remove it and cut the pcs into 1''-1.5'' pcs. I then butterfly the 1'' pcs open and soak in marinade for minimum 4-6 hrs if not overnight. Skewer them up and they are fabulous.

I have eaten as a steak and if you don't mind eating around the gristle line it is pretty good @ $3/lb and under.

Hangar Baby!!

Kobe Hanger Steaks
IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

But I won't turn down a nice little 1lb CAB Flat Iron either!

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Beef!

Never had hanger before but buy flatirons all the time. I Cook them over real wood fire to medium rare with salt n pepper and my friends go nuts.

Back