3, 2, 1 or 3, 2, done.

Papa Don

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How many actually do the last "1"? I know it's written you need to set the sauce but I'm wondering, how important is it?

All based on what you like. Some don't use sauce at all and setting sauce isn't necessary unless you want to. For the 3 step method sometimes they can be ready when the wrap time is done. This really is something you have to play with to see what you like.

How many actually do the last "1"? I know it's written you need to set the sauce but I'm wondering, how important is it?
Unless you want to add stuff to the foil when you wrap, no need to foil at all. Sauce the last 15-30 minutes.

I usually foil after 2 hours bare and add a cup of Merlot or Shiraz for the flavor the take them out and sauce the last 1/2 hour.

I usually do 2, 1, 1/2 with baby backs ans sauce in the last 1/2 hour.

Your cook time coincides with mine. If I cooked ribs for 5-6 hours they would be mush, especially if I wrapped for 2 hours. Yet others go the extra 2 hours on their offsets and the result is great. I can't reconcile why this is so.

Usually, I go a straight 4 hours at 275° and they're done. I don't wrap unless guests are coming and want the Trigg look, and that would be during the fourth hour. Sometimes a mop of 1/2 water mixed with 1/2 sauce for the last half hour.

I have watched others during the entire cook who don't seem to do anything differently from me except for the extra time, and their ribs are great. Go figure.

I don't cook by time. I foil the ribs when they begin to slightly bend. They're foiled for 30-45 minutes with what I add to the foil. Then taken out and usually in another 30 minutes or so they are done. I cook at 250 so my time is a bit longer than the hotter folks.

Also the 3-2-1 was meant for cooking at 225 or lower.

The timing differences make no sense unless you specify what you are talking about: Baby backs, Full spares, or St. Louis cut. The original 3-2-1 was meant for full spares at 225 degrees chamber temp, If I remember correctly.
I personally have never foiled ribs, except a couple of times just to check the method out. 3.5 hours naked at about 270 degrees always do baby backs for me.

One of the things I love about ribs is you can do 2 or 3 different methods side by side and see the results. I used to do it quite a bit, but moved away from it... I think I'll go back now that I read so many good ideas here.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I did the 3-2-1 meathod. I use a rib rub I made, the 2 hour mark was wrapped with dark brown sugar, butter, a little apple juice and a dusting of rub. The 1 hour mark I dumped the liquid and I did use sauce. I used The Smoke Hunters' Apple bourbon sauce. My wife likes them sweet so this worked.
I just received my order from Tango Spice so I'm excited for next weekend already. Thanks Tango Spice Company

The method of 3-2-1 was for competition BBQ, where you are going to sauce your ribs, and where you are looking to maximize flavor, shine and timing. It is a great way to know that your ribs will be done to a given tenderness withing a given time frame.

The braise time also is a great way to drive flavor into the meat. IMO, the best ribs are cooked standing in a rib rack, never wrapped, sauce for dipping, and slightly too done

Back