Any advice on a new insulated vertical smoker?

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a friend that's almost ready to pull the trigger on a Humphrey's Battle box. He's looking for a insulated vertical to use for competition up here in the NW. I wanted to get some input on other options for the same size, and style of smoker. I personally have read good things about Humphreys. I know shipping up here is $600.00 to the front door on this unit. So what are his other options on a quality smoker to keep his costs around 2K including shipping?

Last edited:
I have no idea of costs, but, I have always wanted a Spicewine cooker from Spicewine Ironworks

Humphreys, Spicewine, Stumps and Backwoods all have good reputations. I just got my Lone Star Grillz and it's awesome. I considered all of these but decided on the LSG for the size to price ratio and the build quality.

I got a Backwoods Chubby with double insulation for about that price if I recall. I had a few other options as well.

I went through a huge comparison of a lot of the vertical insulated smokers in that price range and decided on the Humphreys (Pint). They just had outstanding quality and tons of great references. I talked to a number of people and heard nothing but great things about them. I gave smokinit (here in the Brethren from Northeast Pro BBQ) a call directly and talked with him. He has a good perspective on the Humphreys and other comparable smokers in that space. Lot's of good info. I'd chat w/ him.

I also ordered the humohreys pint. My decision was based on primarily on reputation and cost, but shipping was a major factor also. Originally I was interested in the battle box, but after comparing the amount of meat each would hold, I decided to Move up to the next model. My primary goal is to cook for family and friends, but bbq competitions are not out of the question. Hope this helps.

I don't compete but I would think transporting these heavy beasts would be a concern. How do most transport these?

Thanks for all the input. Sure would be nice to find a local builder to avoid shipping costs.

I don't compete but I would think transporting these heavy beasts would be a concern. How do most transport these?

Thanks for all the input. Sure would be nice to find a local builder to avoid shipping costs.
All of the ones I have seen were crated and shipped via truck, with liftgates.

KAT BBQ Smokers is in Modesto, CA. His shipping might be cheaper, although I have not seen one of his cookers in person, the work he has shown looks great

I have been eyeballing a 270 smoker. They are a relatively new company in the cabinet smoker space and their price point is great. Not sure what shipping would be from Virginia to you though.

All of the ones I have seen were crated and shipped via truck, with liftgates.
I was asking how most owners are transporting them between competitions. I would imagine most must trailer them.

Oh, sorry, trailers with ramps, you need ramps. The solo guys use come alongs from what I have seen. The really lucky guys have those trailers with the drop down rears that turn into ramps.

I have a Battle Box that I move in and out of the garage to cook. I will say this, it moves very easily on level ground and concrete with only one person. However, when I brought it home I transported it in my Tahoe and it took 2 of us to unload the beast, they are very well built and have some weight to them.

You can't go wrong with a Battle Box, hope that helps!!

I just ordered the 270 mighty mini. It is double the 600 the OP is looking for. I should have it in 10 days or so.

Back