Rib Competition Questions

normnutman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Entering my first competition next weekend. Two main questions. First, do you find that baby backs or St Louis typically score better in a KCBS competition? I feel confident in cooking either, so "ease" is not of concern.

The second is, what time would you take them off to rest? If turn in time is 3pm, what time would you take them off then what time you would you cut?

Excited about the learning curve, just trying to shorten it.

Thanks!

We have always cooked spares and time it to where they come off the cooker, cut, sauce and get them in the box and walk.

We have always cooked spares and time it to where they come off the cooker, cut, sauce and get them in the box and walk.

Us too with all of this. They come off the cooker and the boxing process starts immediately. There are probably some that hold ribs, but most do not.

If you cook both equally turn in whichever. Spares are more popular, but that doesn't mean they score better..............probably :becky:

My answers below...

Hi All,

Entering my first competition next weekend. Two main questions. First, do you find that baby backs or St Louis typically score better in a KCBS competition? I feel confident in cooking either, so "ease" is not of concern.

Yes. :becky:

We've cooked both and done well with both. I think after last year spares have taken a 6-5 lead in first place finishes over baby backs.

The second is, what time would you take them off to rest? If turn in time is 3pm, what time would you take them off then what time you would you cut?

As soon as the chicken box leaves the trailer I get the ribs out of the cooker and glaze them. We typically slice and build the box at 12:20 for the normal KCBS turn in time of 12:30

Excited about the learning curve, just trying to shorten it.

Thanks!

You're welocme! :-D

Yup to all of the above. I have held ribs before if they finished earlier than expected, but that is not my goal for the day. Our goal is to have them coming off just after chicken so we can cut, prep and run the box. When I have held ribs in the cambro, they turned out just as I expected in tenderness. They stayed warm in there till I needed to cut them.

I've judged several times and see more spare than baby backs. I'm doing my first comp later in September and I'll be cooking spares.

If turn in is at 3, I'd take them off at 2:50, just like most folks said above.

Us too with all of this. They come off the cooker and the boxing process starts immediately. There are probably some that hold ribs, but most do not.

If you cook both equally turn in whichever. Spares are more popular, but that doesn't mean they score better..............probably :becky:

+1 what Jason said.

I'm a baby back guy, and so that's what I cook. I've had good days and bad, but never felt it was because they were BB's vs. spares.

In KCBS I rest the big meats and the smaller meats (chicken and ribs) go straight from smoker to the clamshell (ribs getting cut, but otherwise straight in); no resting. Most do their version of the same.

In a contest in New England, turn in St Louis Ribs, unless your the Bastey Boys! Baby Backs are not the rib of choice for New England Judges
Good Luck

In a contest in New England, turn in St Louis Ribs, unless your the Bastey Boys! Baby Backs are not the rib of choice for New England Judges
Good Luck
Some of my highest rib scores (178, 179) were in new England with bb

In my experience, the spares look better and more consistent. If you turn in BB, make sure that they are pretty decently trimmed.

Back