Kids Competitions

frankH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My son will be entering a Kid's Q contest at the Smithfield Guinea Pig in Desoto KS, next month. Any tips for a 6yo first timer?

The Hamburger meat is provided, and I'm told I can only light the fire for him. Do kids normally turn in 1 burger for the judges to cut? Any tips appreciated.

Kids Q is not sanctioned, so the rules are up to the organizer, so check with them on what is required in the box.

My daughter was too old for kids Q when we started cooking, so I have no direct experience, but since he is 6 and it is his first time, keep it simple so he can do his best job and tell him to focus on the flavor and proper cook.

They are different everywhere, but the Guinea Pig will have them all cooking on small Weber Grills in a central location. It's a really neat setup because they will have a big audience cheering them on.

My girls usually turn in 2 burgers because it will be easier to divide into 6 pieces for judging. Sliders are also an option.

Set them up for success and a good time. Have all your toppings portioned out, maybe buy them a burger press, get a big sheet pan for them to flip on, buy some kids sized gloves, etc.... The whole point is for your kids to have a good experience cooking, not win at all costs, so come at it with that frame of mind and you'll be fine.

My daughter loves the kids ques. I bought her her own tools, that made her day, not having to borrow my stuff. Kids sized gloves, knife, thermo pop, tongs, spatula, etc.

I've judged a few on-site kids Q. They generally have a burger, pork chop etc. for each judge. We grill the kids on how they cooked it, temps, spices etc. Some kids are shy and it is hard getting the info out of them and the next one is very confident and knowledgeable.

Most of all have fun. Over the years we have been lucky enough to have the boys cook several kids ques. Watching the boys cooking and getting a call is better than any call we have had. The best thing about the GP is that the kids get to keep the grill. We turned my son's into a mini wsm, it was a great father son project.

My daughter cooked in one a couple of years ago. She had fun,,, but there were set backs.

1- Make sure you know what they are cooking. We signed up a couple of months early, and the meat was drumsticks then. So we practiced and practiced drumsticks. A week before the event I contacted the Rep to double check some info and she then informed me that it had been changed to burgers. As we hadn't practiced burgers, this was a curve ball for sure.

2- Make sure you consider the weather. We practiced a lot,, but not in the rain. Of course it rained the day of the cook. Even with EZ-light charcoal it was hard to get the fire going good due to all the moisture. Bring starter fluid,,, it saved the day,,, and we were the only ones that brought it. ( Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it )

3- Come at it like a pro. I was surprised at the level the other kids were performing. One young man cooked a burger with Krispy Kreme doughnut buns. Make sure you buy nice looking buns, and good clean greenery,,, and colorful red onions for slicing. Presentation was where we slipped.

4- Spatula Tongs,,,, would have been easier for my daughters young hands,,, especially over hot coals.

My daughters have cooked Guinea Pig kids Q last two years. We usually have them cook anytime a kids q is offfered. Guinea Pig is a great kids q. They get to keep there Weber Grills and you usually get a lot of people cheering them on. Many kid q events say you can only light the fire you will see many parents helping during the cook. Nobody wants to see a kid getting hurt.

GettinBasted said it well in set them up for success. Only thing Ill add is just have fun with it. Dont see it as a competition but just hanging out with your son.
They usually set the grills on portable folding tables so bring a step stool, he will be able to see over the top of grill that way.

This is Definitely about him having fun. He's the kind of kid that likes routine and no surprizes, so we are just looking for ideas to make practice similar as the real event.

Spatula tongs are a great idea. I'll plan on getting him buns and basic toppings for the main event

Back