• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My 1st Overnight Stick Burner Smoke

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I'm about 2 years into this Low-N-Slow Smoking thing, and it's so fun! I started on a 22.5 WSM, and as my cooks, mostly St. Louis Spares, got bigger, I bought a 2nd 22.5, then converted a commercial dryer from my coin-laundry into a smoker. I'm a couple hundred racks of ribs into this, and now decided to join the cool kids and buy a stick burner.

Here is my with my new friend:
IMG_0299.JPG

Ok, so tonight I'm cooking 4 Picnic roasts on one of the 22.5 WSM's, and they are looking great! I'm sharing these with some employees from my laundry tomorrow afternoon. They hear me talk about BBQ often enough. I've shared ribs with them before, and will be doing cooks at each of our locations soon enough. Here are the Picnic's with rub and as they went on the smoker:
IMG_0757.JPG

So, the reason I'm posting this now, at about 2 am, is because I also have 2 beautiful CAB Choice Brisket's I'm cooking for a friend's 40th bday party tomorrow night (and 10 racks of St Louis Ribs). Again, I'm new to this Stick-Burner party, so tonight it my 1st Stick Burning Stay Up Late party.
IMG_0762.JPG

So, the brisket's went on at about 1:30, and I'm going to set my phone to go put a split on every 60-90 minutes or so, with me catching cat naps in between.

Ok, maybe I'm weird, but I just don't love big wads of fat on my brisket. I know I'm supposed to. I've eaten at 3 of the Texas Monthly Top 5 joints in Texas in the past year, and they were all great, but I didn't eat all the fat I was served at any of them. So, I'm trying separating the point and flat on my last few cooks, and seeing how that goes. You get more bark that way, and that is my FAVORITE Part!!

Here she is, all oiled and rubbed up!
IMG_0760.JPG

I'm about to walk outside and check the fire, about an hour after I put the briskets on. I put an Abita Strawberry Lager and mug from the fridge to the freezer a few minutes ago, and after I check the fire, I'll set my alarm, grab my Bible and do some reminders of what's rockin before I take a little nap.

Great start! Overnighters are always fun, next day sometimes not, depending on how much one imbibes

Everything looks great. Nice looking cooker. Keep the pics coming.

Congrats on the new cooker and the successful cook. I remember setting the alarm for every hour adding a split.... Seems like a lifetime ago.

Well, here is the 4 am update...
IMG_0766.JPG

and the first of the daylight update
IMG_0767.JPG

I moved the flats to the top shelf, then went to church for an hour, and my beginner fire management skills showed their weakness, cooker down to 180, but fear not, I'm learning.

I'm going to wait till there's a good bark on the flats, then wrap until 203 degrees.

yeah!

Everything looks real good and it sounds like you're having fun too, but what are you doing with the points you cut off? :shock:

First of all... welcome to the "dark side" (the stick burners) and secondly I agree with you about the fat,... I trim my briskets down pretty good 1/4 to 1/8 so that it renders down and becomes part of the bark rather than become a barrier between the bark and the meat! It's a shame that people are having to trim off all of the flavorful bark that they've worked so hard to create because there's a huge layer of fat underneath it.:wink:
Nice pit and some great lookin' Q there pardner!:thumb:

Alright, it's almost time!!

Here are the ribs, 5 hours in. I like 6 hours, myself. Tug off the bone, bark nice and dark.
IMG_0776.JPG

Did someone say Brisket? I'm hungry!
IMG_0772.JPG

And, to make it a 4 meat day, I added chicken at the end of the cook
IMG_0777.JPG

Back