Chuck prices

SteveKing

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last month my local walmart had chuck roasts on sale for $4.79/# which I thought was phenomenal. Their prices have gone back up, but now a local mom and pop place has their chuck roasts on sale for $3.99 ... even better. I'll prolly grab 5 roasts this week. I'm curious what are you guys paying for chuck roasts in your parts?

I'd really like to know what my brothers in TX and the Midwest are paying

Can't help you with Texas, but last chuck roast we bought here in central Florida was north of $7.00 per pound. Boneless, but still?

3 days ago I paid 2.97 lb at HEB for well marbled Select.

I don't buy choice chuck unless it hits 4.99/lb. When/if it hits 3.99/lb and under??? I try to buy it ALL!!:becky:

I just checked our local Kroger ad and they have Choice Chuck at $3.99/lb - I should buy lots?

Thanks Wildeman. I might be moving to Sioux Falls in a year and a half. How is the bbq scene in the area, I see through google there are plenty of meat markets and one or two high end groceries?

Thanks Wildeman. I might be moving to Sioux Falls in a year and a half. How is the bbq scene in the area, I see through google there are plenty of meat markets and one or two high end groceries?

We've got both Sams and Costco here now which is nice, the only packers Costco has are prime, at about 4.25 a lb last time I checked, Sams I haven't been to in awhile but they usually carry choice, Walmart usually has select around 3.69 right now I think. Packers never go on sale it seems unless they go on clearance, which is a bit annoying. Hy-vee has a ton of locations but they're usually overpriced and their pork is almost all Hormel enhanced crap. I like Fareway most, especially for their sales, like I said before I prefer to buy on sale and stock up.

If you don't mind me chiming in, I have spent a lot of time in Sioux Falls and the surrounding area due to my wife's family. There are some excellent butchers in the area. Small towns with little Ma and Pa type shops are in the region. I always liked Hy Vee as far as a larger chain market too. So long story short, I think the meat "scene" is very good.

The BBQ "scene" is typical upper midwest. There are some people that know what they are doing but sometimes it is tough to make a go of a good BBQ joint when you are in the land of pot roast NTTAWWT. The best BBQ will come from like minded backyarders and a few caterers in my opinion.

Just checked my Kroger, Smiths, and chuckies $3.99/lb. Looks like I'm grinding lots of burgers this weekend! They usually run 3.99-599/lb here.

Back