Commercial Rib Rubs

wayner123

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I usually make my own rubs and they have served me well. But for the sake of just trying out different tastes and flavors, can you all recommend your favorite commercially available rubs to mainly use on ribs?

I love a sweet rib and I may do Trigg's honey/sugar/parkay as well, but I wanted to know the brethern's favorite commercial rubs for ribs. Thanks.

I like Plowboys Yardbird myself. Get the sweet from the sauce.

I like Plowboys Yardbird myself. Get the sweet from the sauce.

Yeah....I ain't tried a LOT, but Yardbird's hard to beat.
Come to think of it.....I gotta order more of that stuff!

I like Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub, new Butcher's Honey rub, and John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle Rub.

Plowboy's Yardbird, Head Country, Smokin in the Dark Spicy, and Dizzy Pig are my goto Rib rubs.

KC Rib Doctor, may only be available in and around KC though.

In order of preference:

Tie for 1st - Plowboy's Yardbird, Big Bob Gibson's Rub
Tie for 2nd - Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub, Smokin' Guns mild or hot rubs

I've bought Grill Mates Pork rub and apple wood rub and they both tasted great. I also liked the Famous Dave's rib rub. I found them at Ralphs. I want to try all the ones that have been suggested too.

Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy, Pecan or Cherry are all excellent rubs for pork. I have not tried the Apple yet, it comes highly recommended.

I also use Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust salt-free when I am wanting to reduce sodium. Good stuff as well.

Yardbird or homemade. Last 15 minutes I usually put a thin coat of Sweet Baby Rays.

Back