Finally a score!

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Lady's and gentlemen if you want an Akorn King Griller Kamado RUN, don't walk run! To your local Walmart. I had been eyeballing them for a while. I was trying to decide if I wanted the Akorn or the Sam's Vision ($499). That's another topic but Sam's had been out of stock for over a month now anyway. In the meantime I has decided to get the Akorn due to the positive reviews and ultimately the price.
OK so they were originally $288 at my local Walmart. About 2 weeks ago I noticed they dropped the price to $249. They had two left and they weren't moving. So recently I decided I was gonna go for it and get one. BUT, only if I could talk a manager into dropping the price to $225. After all they had the same two on the self for over a month. I decided if he said no it wasn't meant to be and that would be it. Today was the day. I was gonna go see what I could get. I went to Walmart, headed to the outdoor area and NO! all the grills were gone and Christmas stuff was being put out (really it's still September!). I though there's no way they sold all the grills they had left (there were a lot of different kinds of grill left just a few days ago). I started looking around the outdoor area and Yes! I found the grills over where the plants use to be. Headed over and there they were, the same two remaining Akorns still marked to $249 clearance. So I headed to find a manager. Easily enough, one was walking through the area. I asked if he could help me with something and we headed to the grills. I brought him to the Akorn and said, "I know these are already marked down but I've seen them cheaper and I know you've had these two for a while, would you be willing to discount them a little further?" He said, "what have you seen them priced at?" I said "I've seen them at $225." Then he said "how about $175?" I almost crapped my pants. I actually said "sh#t yes!" then said "oh I'm sorry you just surprised me."
So yes I got a $300 brand new Akorn still in the box for $175! Go get one if you can! :becky: :biggrin1:
Tomorrow is break-in day!

Last edited:
One of my local Wal-Marts is stocking more smokers and the others still have everything at full price except for the 2 or 3 they have discounted about $8 less than retail. You got lucky. Great find.

Nice find. I've been marking everything down that's approaching end of season to a dollar or two in profits. My district manager gave me another week before Christmas is to be set. It's technically going to be a late setting, but they gave the go ahead to get my inventory down.

I've got shovels, last year's rakes, pits, patio cushions (sold all the furniture sets already) down to a 1-2 dollar profit margin. I don't give a damn, I WANT IT OUT OF MY DEPARTMENT!

I would have bought them both!

Lol! I was tempted. ...then I remembered I had to come home and face the wife. Considering her birthday was just 2 days ago I figured I'd better not push my luck. :biggrin1:

One of my local Wal-Marts is stocking more smokers and the others still have everything at full price except for the 2 or 3 they have discounted about $8 less than retail. You got lucky. Great find.

In Texas there's a lot of smokers that are brought in for Christmas. I've got a slew of Webers coming in that are intended to be sold during the Autumn/Winter seasons at full price with the intention of them being gifts.

A lot of the gassers/grills are marked down to almost no profit margin though that are part of the Spring/Summer seasons.
Whacky world, general merchandise retail is. It's been rather enlightening, as up until now my only real experience with retail has been grocery.

I've got shovels, last year's rakes, pits, patio cushions (sold all the furniture sets already) down to a 1-2 dollar profit margin. I don't give a damn, I WANT IT OUT OF MY DEPARTMENT!

I have a feeling that's what was going on here too. Those grills had been moved around the outdoor area twice!

Thanks for all the responses! I've got to get it out today and burn off all the funk inside and season the cast iron grate. I'll also try and see how it holds temps. I've read I may need to seal up the intake vent on the ash pan but it seems easy to do. I can't wait to start cooking in it!

The Akorn is easy to move around in your cooking area. There is a latch on the front that some think is for snugging the lid. It's actually a stabilizing safety feature so you don't dump it while moving. It was one of my favorite grills. It's no longer around but I do miss it at times

So far I'm pretty impressed. For the most part this thing is very well built! Right now I'm burning out the protective coating put on by the factory and seasoning the cast iron grate. I've got it sitting just under 450 for 30 min with no trouble. Was very easy stabilizing the temp. I'm sure I'll have to seal it up a little for low and slow temps but I'm happy with the control I have so far.

Last edited:
GREAT score - to bad it issn't red :grin: - a word of advice - make no mods until you use it. If it holds 250F then it is perfect. You need a heat deflector - get a weber charcoal grate for a 22" kettle and a 16" cheap pizza pan. put the grate on the 3 ledges above the fire pit and the pizza pan on the grate. Or instead of the pizza pan get this guy from Academy and join up at kamadoguru.com :clap2:

Back