Homemade Bratwurst

tcards

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Some recipes for brats call for veal and pork. A lot just use pork. What do you use?

I have made some with pork and some ground beef and I get the meat cutter to sell me a little beef fat to I can get the fat level where It makes a juicy brat and everyone seams to like my brats so it works. Finding veal around here or cost is preventing me from using it.

Having lived in Germany for 3 years, I fell in love with Bratwurst. Traveling around there, I learned that Brats were made different ways in different parts of Germany. The ones I like the most are made with Pork and Veal.

One more thing... Once in a while, cheap pork chops will go on sale. I like to buy them up, cut out the bone and grind em up, fat and all for my pork sausages. I started doing this accidentally and "THINK" pork chop fat has a better taste to it than any other part of the pig (that goes on sale anyway)... Is that true? I don't know but maybe the BRETHERN could check it out for me and verify one way or the other. Please! (I had a snooty butcher tell me I should just buy ground pork).

One more thing... Once in a while, cheap pork chops will go on sale. I like to buy them up, cut out the bone and grind em up, fat and all for my pork sausages. I started doing this accidentally and "THINK" pork chop fat has a better taste to it than any other part of the pig (that goes on sale anyway)... Is that true? I don't know but maybe the BRETHERN could check it out for me and verify one way or the other. Please! (I had a snooty butcher tell me I should just buy ground pork).

I agree that it is the best fat on the pig. It is back fat, and that is all I will use in my sausage!

recipes

Hi Any one care to share thier Bratwurst recipes..I spent 2 service years in Germany. Fell in love with Bratwurst..Haven't come close to my homemade version yet. Tried a few pre packaged mixes,none came close.
Thanks DanB

I use all pork but you need to make sure you have a decent amount of fat, even more so than sausage.

I make Bratwurst on a regular basis. My normal would be all pork. I do make a Venison Bratwurst which is 60% pork 40% Venison. I mainly use butts for the pork, and dont need to add any extra fat. Just make sure to buy untrimmed butts.

For the seasoning I use AC Leggs #104, and love it. I tried several mixes that I made, and a few other seasoning mixes. The AC Legg 104 has always worked out great for me and my family. Plus it is made right here in Alabama, that is always a plus.

Haveuseen1? - always interested in trying new seasoning blends, I'll have to look up the AC Leggs #104. The last 5 or so years I've been using Excalibur Seasonings bratwurst mix, it's made just down the road from me. Folks really seem to like it.

last brats I made were with moose and pork. It was a little drier than I wanted, the moose is super lean, so next time I'll add some fatback and that should help

Hi Any one care to share thier Bratwurst recipes..I spent 2 service years in Germany. Fell in love with Bratwurst..Haven't come close to my homemade version yet. Tried a few pre packaged mixes,none came close.
Thanks DanB

Here is a family recipe that was given to me from a very good freind of mine. I worked with him for years. His REAL name is "Dick Head". Honestly, I'm not making this up. He's from Chicago and I'd guess about 78 years old at this time. He worked in his Father's sausage shop as a kid and part time whenever he could. He makes sausage on the side still today. He has a card that reads, "DICK HEAD'S SAUSAGE" - "you can't beat our meat!" Honestly! (You can't make this stuff up!) He is a devout Christian and lives a clean life and loves to get his drivers license out to prove a point. Here's his family recipe;

Dick Head's Bratwurst;
10 Lbs. Recipe
10 Lbs. Ground Pork
5 Tbls Salt
3.5 Tbs Fennel Seed
1.5 Tbs Black Pepper (fresh ground coarse)
1 Tbs Red Pepper
8 Oz. Very Cold Water or Favorite Wine
2 Cups Powdered Milk (optional as a binder)

By the way... His Uncle's name was "Harry". I'm telling you, You Can't Make This Stuff Up!
Enjoy! :) (if the mods pull this off, I will get the appropriate credentials to prove it :)

I always thought that nutmeg was an important spice for a proper brats.

You are right. Again, this is a family recipe. I have seen nutmeg used in other braut recipes. I'd suggest looking into the recipes in books by Rytek Kutas or Stanley Marianski. I have seen nutmeg in one of those.

Back