• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Second Generation Prototype Vertical

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
OK SmittyJonz, the second generation build(s) begin. I'm building two more this time. I have a lot going on right now so these two cookers might take a few weeks; I'll post updates whenever I'm able to make significant progress.

Some of you may have seen the first prototype build a couple months ago. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180290. Happy to report the owner is very happy and using it 2-3 times a week. We learned a lot with that build and heard a number of great suggestions from the Brethren, hopefully I have been able to apply that to the second generation version(s).

I changed the dimensions slightly to minimize the waste of steel but the overall dimensions are still about 24 inches wide, 18-1/2 inches deep and 48 inches tall not counting the top and the door opening and depth will accommodate full sized service pans.

Probably the most significant change from the first prototype is I found a pre-fabrication partner that did a lot of cutting and pre-bending parts to my specifications with a goal towards minimizing the time necessary to hand fabricate custom parts.

So, today I found a couple hours to mock-up some of the new components, check measurements and get the final steel order together (doors & expanded metal). Here are some pictures and commentary.

I had the main tub pre-bent from 11 gauge (about 1/8 inch) to form the door structure & openings. This step alone will probably save 10 hours of custom fabrication.

2014-03-18103108_zpsdeb3c76d.jpg

Here is a profile shot. This work was all done on a CNC press brake (we transmitted a CAD file to the fabricator) that runs the machine.

2014-03-18103332_zps0fb8a83d-1.jpg

I'll be lining the firebox with firebrick splits, here you can see how a chunk of scrap firebrick fits in the door structure. The entire firebox, up at least 20 inches from the bottom will be lined.

2014-03-18103548_zpsa8dbd7f1.jpg

I also had a variety of parts made for the front members of the main tub from the same 11 gauge; and, some custom angle for the cooking grates and some custom C-channel for the cooking grate racks out of 16 gauge (about 1/16 inch).

2014-03-18102658_zps9e3898a0.jpg

2014-03-18102726_zps9fe41043.jpg

The bottom of the cooker and the heat diffuser will be 1/4 plate. This stuff was cut to my specification on a CNC laser table. The cut edges of the 1/4 plate are straight and as smooth as a baby's but; VERY cool.

2014-03-18104942_zps3630c87e.jpg

2014-03-18105001_zps2f0f0397.jpg

Finally, with these cookers, I've changed the top design to a rolled "barrel top" design. Again these parts are 11 gauge.

2014-03-18104558_zps63f4698c.jpg

2014-03-18104517_zpsb6d87f1b.jpg

OK, that is about it for now except once these are built at least one of them will be posted for sale on the Brethren Sales and Ventures page. Might have to keep one for myself.

Thanks for lookin, more to come as I accomplish something.

Cool! Why did you go with the rolled top? Will exhaust be center top?

Wanted to try something different and cut back on fabrication time. I'm a believer in not having a flat roof, especially if the cooker will support using a water pan. It has been my experience that a flat top design can result in gunky condensation "raining" down on the food, a sloped or curved top channels the condensation to the sides and down to the firebox. Might just be me but that is what I've experienced.

Not sure on the exhaust yet, might just put a daisey wheel or slide type damper on the front or back.

Great start. I might have to take a ride north to see the finished product.

Could you make the normal top and put the curve inside?

Thanks for the interest. Short answer is sure, with steel pretty much anything is possible. But if by "normal" you mean a flat top I could easily add a barrel insert but at some point the cost of fabrication goes back up. One of my over-arching goals with these prototypes is trying to come up with design tweeks that will reduce overall costs and market a thicker steel "lifetime" cooker at a price point folks think they can handle.

How will the firebricks be secured ?

Great question. I think I have it figured out so I can put one internal band inside the firebox to hold them in place for the firebox liners.

But here is a teaser. I have a SECRET design element (Jed, if you read this don't spill the beans yet) I'm gonna try on one of these units that means I will be lining the entire 48 inch height with firebrick. I think I have it figured out so the racks that support the cooking grates will hold them in place but I ain't gonna know for sure until I get farther into the build. That's part of the fun, at least for me.

Hmmmmm gonna be a heavy booger.......you got a hookup on firebrick cuz they ain't cheap usually.......

Hmmmmm gonna be a heavy booger.......you got a hookup on firebrick cuz they ain't cheap usually.......

Oh yea, not portable:becky: Actually I do have a source for splits at about $1.30 each.

EDIT: well actually I've got a a front-end loader on the farm so for me it IS portable:thumb:

Back