Smoker identification help!

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I saw this on CL and was interested. It appears to be an Oklahoma Joe by looking at the badge on the lid but I have never seen one with wooden handles. Has anyone seen one like this and is it the older heavy steel model or the newer lighter steel models?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 271
Mine has that type of handles. It's medium-old. 3/16" steel and bolted-on firebox and smokestack. It's noticeably heavier than the current models but not as heavy as the original 1/4" steel models.

Thanks, That's not to bad then. If I can get it for a good price I don't mind it being 3/16" metal.

I got him talked down to $75 if it is in good shape. I am heading over to look at it this afternoon. I think that would be a good price if that's just surface rust.

Well I brought her home now I just have to figure out how to unload it out of the truck. It took 2 of us to load it by putting one end in the truck and then lifting the other end to roll it in. I didn't realize it weighed that darn much. All it needs is a little wire brushing, some new paint, and the sleeves that they use for hinges on the fire box rusted off so I will get new ones welded on.

Well I brought her home now I just have to figure out how to unload it out of the truck. It took 2 of us to load it by putting one end in the truck and then lifting the other end to roll it in. I didn't realize it weighed that darn much. All it needs is a little wire brushing, some new paint, and the sleeves that they use for hinges on the fire box rusted off so I will get new ones welded on.

Nice. I had the same problem with mine (re: getting it off the truck). I ended up unbolting and removing the firebox, removing the grates, and removing the smokestack. That made it sufficiently manageable that I was able to roll it out of the bed and down a couple of ramps. Still almost got away from me.

thanks that sounds like a good idea, I can improvise that idea and use a ramp with a come along tied to my toolbox and the smoker and let her down nice and slow.

That looks like one of the New Braunfel's OK Joes. It could be from before CharBroil bought them or not. The older they are the better built they are. The new ones from China are getting downright pitiful compared to the older ones.

For $75 you did well.

Last edited:
Yes it is a New Braunsfels or I would say that the NB 162049 in the serial means it is made by them.

Back