• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cold Smoking on the Shirley

RedKamado

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This week I made home made bacon. I started with a whole costco pork belly then cured and cold smoked the meat. Ive made bacon before using a kamado. This time I used the warming chamber on my Shirley cooker. I hung the pork belly using the sausage hangers. I gotta tell ya this, 7 hours on hickory and cherry, its the best bacon ive ever had!!
If anyone is interested I documented my process here.

Attachments

• cut1.jpg
    cut1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 184
  • in smoke.jpg
    in smoke.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
looks fantastic. what temp did the warmer run, and did you temp the meat at all?

On Edit: read first, then post questions:

For this recipe however, the meat was smoked at 175° for 4 hours, then an additional 3 hours at 225° until inter temperature of the meat was 160°.

So technically, this was not cold smoked, it was warm smoked...which I prefer. Cold smoking would mean your pit and the belly never get over about 90.

looks fantastic. what temp did the warmer run, and did you temp the meat at all?

For this recipe however, the meat was smoked at 175° for 4 hours, then an additional 3 hours at 225° until inter temperature of the meat was 160°.

So technically, this was not cold smoked, it was warm smoked...which I prefer. Cold smoking would mean your pit and the belly never get over about 90.

Thanks for the distinction on cold smoking. I was thinking anything under 200 was cold. Warm is more accurate :grin:

Been wanting to smoking my own bacon for awhile. Holy moly that looks good!

And now that we're coming into Autumn, cold smoking and double cold smoking is possible. I just can't find any pork bellies... haven't seen them for 3 or 4 months. :evil:

Back